Friday, March 11, 2016

Knitting Mania Up in Here with Pics!

       
These are the first sweaters that started my knitting season. They're for my new friend, Max!
If you're a knitter or want to see more pics, the yellow number is on Ravelry here and the blue one's here.
This happens to me every year, usually a little closer to January or February, but I kinda go through a natural manic knitting period--usually when Winter's sorta wrapping up--the beginning of Spring usually kills my urge.
This year my knitting frenzy has been spurred on a bit, because seemingly out of nowhere, I have muchas vegan friends who are spawning. I say spawning with love. Anyway, I thought I was getting a little old for this, but I guess it's true what they say about young friends keeping you sprightly! This morning while I was biding a few hours waiting to get into an estate sale, I was knitting the finishing touches on my latest baby sweater. Another lady in line asked me, "If I was knitting for my grand-babies." UGH. Technically I guess I AM old enough for this comment, but whoa--it made me laugh. Then I died. :-X
This sweater's for my soon-to-be new friend, Hazel. It's my first attempt at a baby-sized cardigan with a diagonal button band! You can find the pattern and more photos here.
So this post is a big baby sweater show and tell love fest, and it's rilly picture heavy. Wish I was sorry! The most exciting thing to me about all the baby sweaters I've made so far this year, is that I've improvised each one! I've made lots of top-down raglans, so it's really not super hard to just wing it, but it is a bit thrilling.

I started with just regular cardigans, with a standard button-band going down the middle, but then I started playing around with increasing and decreasing stitches to make diagonal button bands. And, because that was working really well, I figured out how to edge the button band with a stitch that's called an I-cord, that's smooth and round and makes the sweater look much more polished.

Hazel's rainbow slanty. You can see the pattern and more photos here.
Here's the second sweater I made for Hazel. I attempted to make the button band more diagonal, but I made a mistake by placing the button holes on the wrong side of the band. You can see the edges are a little wonky, which is what motivated me to figure out a way to smooth them out.

All together! So bright and lovely.
My best attempt yet! The pattern and more pics are here.
I have another one finished too, but the sweater's a surprise, so you'll have to check back later for deets (but if you're a sleuth, I bet you can find pictures you-know-where).
Of course, I got so excited with my third and best attempt, that I gave it away to my friend Amanda without taking good photos! You can see the smooth, deluxe i-cord edging on the button band. Triumph!

Thanks for visiting my little crumb of the internet! Of course, and just as a little FYI, these sweaters are all vegan and made from vintage acrylic yarn from my stash! If you want to make any of these sweaters, and have questions, feel free to get in touch! And, if anyone is interested in testing out my pattern, I think I'm gonna work it up as a Ravelry download!

xo kittee

10 comments:

  1. So cute and love your modifications!! I just finished a baby blanket last night for a baby arriving soon to friends of ours. Knitting is great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice!!! I don't have the patience for blankets, but I agree about knitting being excellent.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. Adorable! They are such special handmade gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bub! They sure are fun to give away! I love them, cuz they're special, but don't take too much time to make, and you can multitask with TV or podcasts while you work.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. Oh Kittee, I love them all, but the yellow one is the one I love best! I only crochet — slowly — but knitting is best. I have a special 6-month-old I wish I could knit for, but by the time I finished a sweater, she'd be in college. :D (I speak from experience.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I think it's much harder to be a creative knitter than a creative crocheter, so that's why I'm so proud of myself.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. Everything you make is magic!I'm going to try your pattern *crosses fingers* those are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks!! I think I'm gonna type this up as a free Ravelry download! Email me if you want me to send it to you as a test!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  5. Those are the cutest sweaters! I really like the diagonal buttons <33

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.