Monday, March 28, 2016

Sugar Lumps and Chocolate "Snicker" Cups.

vegan gluten free blog kittee
raw chocolate, chocolate, vegan, peanut butter, snickers, cups, gluten free, kittee, recipe
Peanut Butter Cups with Puffed Rice.
Raw chocolate, unadulterated natural peanut butter, and puffed brown rice.
When I was first diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy, my rheumatologist told me to stop eating gluten (already was) and refined sugar. I'd actually already figured out that I felt better off of sweets, but it still didn't make the news go down any better. Thankfully, after a little experimenting and the realization I could still do some natural stuff like brown rice syrup, maple syrup, and dates, I realized my life wasn't over. I just had a bit of a learning curve to sail over, and I'd be fine.

raw chocolate, chocolate, vegan, peanut butter, snickers, cups, gluten free, kittee, recipe
Don't feel sorry for me. Chopped peanut butter cups and a raw chocolate drizzle 
on top of cashew cheesecakes from my birthday last Spring.
One of the treats I've really grown to love over the last year or so, is playing with raw chocolate, because it can be sweetened however I like. It can also be used to make all sorts of really cool freezer cups. I generally use it for really basic PB cups, although I often add brown rice cereal for a little crunch. I've also used it to make turtle cups which are awesome and easy, a little brown rice syrup and a walnut buried in chocolate, works in a pinch.

raw chocolate, chocolate, vegan, peanut butter, snickers, cups, gluten free, kittee, recipe
Peanut butter cups with puffed brown rice and carob! SwoooOOOOon. Dog bless America, I love carob.

raw chocolate, chocolate, vegan, peanut butter, snickers, cups, gluten free, kittee, recipe
Peanut Butter and Jam Freezer Cups.
These were filled with a strawberry chia jam!
Raw chocolate adventures led me to carob cuppers (I'm a big ol' carob fan), which led me to peanut butter freezer cups, which I wrote about a few months ago. You basically use the same amount of carob or peanut butter instead of cacao powder with similar results.

Peanut Butter Date Cups
Then a few weeks ago, I saw a bunch of people from a FB group posting about dipping peanut butter stuffed dates into melted chocolate to make "candy" bars. Chocolate chips are out for me, because the only vegan brands I know without sugar aren't listed on the FEP's approved chocolate list, and I'm a stickler. 

I figured I could make something similar with my beloved raw chocolate and gave it a go. I quickly discovered raw chocolate was too thin for this task, since it was just dastardly running off my dates, and making me grumpy. So of course, I decided to turn them into cups, and they came out WUNDERBAR.

tofu vegan gluten-free crispy stir-fry protein
Peanut Butter Date Cups
Makes however many you like.
Before you start, please read through the notes and recipe below!

The chocolate produced here isn't super sweet--add a little more maple syrup or whatever, if that's your thang. But, that said, I think these are real nice as is.

And, if you want to turn these into carob or peanut butter cups instead, just replace them in the same ratio for the cacao powder! You can add puffed brown rice for crunch, too! Or coconut, or whatever yum you want. Cocoa powder works, too.

What You Need:
♥ 2 parts cacao powder 
♥ 2 parts melted coconut oil
♥ 1 part liquid sweetener
♥ soft dates
♥ natural peanut butter
♥ peanuts

What You Do:
Line a cupcake tray with a few cupcake papers. If you mix about 1/4 cup of the cacao and 1/4 cup coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, you'll get enough chocolate for a few cups. If you have one, I actually prefer a mini cupcake tray, and with the same amount of ingredients, you'll get a 6-7 cup yield.

Put the cacao powder, coconut oil and sweetener in a small dish and stir well to combine. If the coconut oil is not very warm, or the sweetener is cold, the mixture might seize up a little. It just means the coconut oil is thickening and you need to warm it up--either in the microwave for about 10 seconds, or set your dish over a bowl of boiling water until it thins out and is smooth.

Spoon a little bit of liquid chocolate into each paper, just enough to cover the bottom, and freeze for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, carefully split your dates in half lengthwise and remove the pits. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter onto each half. Remove the tray from the freezer and smoosh a date half into each chocolate circle. Spoon more chocolate on top, to cover the date, and sprinkle with peanuts. Freeze until set and NOM.

green smoothie, smoothie, flax, flaxseed, omega 3, teff love, ethiopian cooking, ethiopian, telba, recipe, kittee berns
Thanks for visiting my little crumb of the internet! Click here to subscribe to my blog and get posts delivered to your email when I update!

Come back soon!  xo kittee

7 comments:

  1. Well I can think of a few people who would jump up and down with glee if I were to make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh DAMN. These sound and look amazing! Did you see my pic on IG from the date farm I went to last week?? I have a blog post about it going up tomorrow. We got to try so many different dates and they were all so good and all so different. I usually put almond butter in my dates, but I'll try PB next time. Also, sometimes I put tahini in them - have you ever tried that? I really like it! Almost as much as I like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait to read about all your dates!!!!!
      I have tried tahini on top. I am a big seed and nut butter fangirl, all good alllll theeee timeeeeez.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you did a post on this! I scribbled down the recipe from Instagram but it's way nicer to be able to reference it here too. Those mini birthday cakes look sooo goood! They all do! Hahaha and the Good Time wiener dog!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.