Sunday, February 21, 2016

Miyoko's Vegan Buttah with Fancy Pants.

vegan gluten free blog kittee
Miyoko's vegan butter straight from the blender with parsley, garlic, and spices.
Ever since I posted about palm oil a few years ago, I've been diligent in avoiding palm products and getting them out of our everyday. I think the only thing I really need to work on is Dazee's Tofutti, since he's really attached to it, and I'm not great at keeping Miyoko's cream cheese in the fridge. Probably because Dazee takes it to work for bagel snacks, so I have no visual reminders in the fridge to remember to make it.

But, I have been making Miyoko's butter somewhat regularly, (the recipe is posted here on Every Day Dish). We mostly use olive and coconut oil on the regular, but for the occasional baking spree or special dinner, I like to keep some in the freezer.

Anyway, today's post is sorta silly, but when I was whipping up a new olive oil batch this morning (for garlic bread--'cuz tonight's a spaghetti party), I had a mini realization. While the butter is churning in the blender, it's so easy to just add a few extra ingredients to make fancy herbal and/or flavored butter.

I reserved about a cup of the liquid butter in the blender, and then added in several peeled cloves of garlic, a big handful of parsley, a pinch of granulated onion and smoked paprika. Then I just poured it into a little bowl and stuck it in the fridge. I've been slathering it on this amazing olive bread from New Cascadia, and will keep the rest for dinner. It'd be even easier to just slather it on bread straight outta the blender, when it's still in a liquid state.

The herbal butter came out so well, I started dreaming about future uhmeeeezing flavors:
♥ Pesto butter
♥ Olive tapenade butter
♥ Jalapeno and garlic herb butter
♥ Toasted cumin-coriander-cayenne cilantro butter for Indian rotis or paratha
♥ Cayenne and herb
♥ Ethiopian berbere 

Even though this was just laughable in the easy department, I wanted to share, because the yum output was very, very high. Also, if you make this, be sure to store your butter for long-time use in the freezer, so it won't mold.

New Cascadia GF olive bread all slathered up.
vegan gluten free blog kittee

Thanks for visiting my little crumb of the internet! Come back soon and tell your friends.
xo kittee

6 comments:

  1. Yum town!! Palm oil free butter (and now your fancy pants versions) are top of my list of things to make when I get settled somewhere with kitchen equipment. I've been making more of a concerted effort to cut out the palm oil in the last year or so but it's hard when you're moving all the time and the only vegan snack you can find is a packet of Ritz crackers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, so easy you just need a blender! The lecithin is a little weird, but once you buy it, it's practically a lifetime supply. My dad lives on Ritz by the way.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. I just made a batch of this butter yesterday!! I should have seen your post first. I love not having to buy the palm oil margarines! Hey, have you and Dazee tried the Kite Hill cream cheese? I LOVE IT SO MUCH. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time!!! It's so good with everything blended up in there! I tried some Kite Hill cheese ages ago, and did not love it. I tasted a nibble of the cream cheese at Erika's the other weekend when we were there, but I didn't get enough of it to get an impression. I love the Miyoko CC, I just need to remember to make some--especially since I always have yogurt around. I just don't remember because I don't use it very much, so out of sight out of mind. Whenever DZ remembers he needs it, I don't have time to make a batch.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. Toasted cumin-coriander-cayenne cilantro butter! I had to read that a couple times to register how awesome that sounds. Our house avoids palm oil as best we can but I appreciate the reminder and a lot of vegans think cause a product is labelled V it means its ethically sourced... also 'Toasted cumin-coriander-cayenne cilantro butter!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the reminder, it's good for me too, because it's boggling how palm ends up in so much stuff!!!!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.