Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Behold, Crispy Pepper-Tofu For all the Thangs.

vegan gluten free blog kittee
I skewer you so hard, Mr. Tofu.
Today I'm sharing one of my fave-or-ite go-to tofu recipes. That's a lot of hyphens, because this is a lot of tasty. This recipe is also a good card to hold, if you're not super confident about tofu.

Lately, I've been chomping it up and down with brown rice and loads of stir-fried vegetables, but it also goes great on top of salad, in Salad Roll Whoppers, or with southern sorts of things like etouffe, greens, mashed taters, etc-- if you rearrange the seasoning a little bit.

It's also an easy way to prepare tofu, so it's all ready to go at a minute's notice.

tofu vegan gluten-free crispy stir-fry protein
Pepper Tofu
Makes 32 cubes
Before you start, please read through the notes and recipe below!

This tofu's inspired by the Vietnamese Bean Cake with Black Pepper (du h rang mui) from Kim Son, one of my favorite restaurants on The Wanker in New Orleans.

It's similar to my noochy Tofu Army, but a little crispier and richer, with a bit of heat from the pepper and chile --but don't worry-- it won't burn your mouth. I usually eat it with brown rice and stir fried vegetables, and sometimes switch out the ginger and sesame oil for other seasonings, if I want it to be more neutral in flavor.

Usually when I make this, I don't skimp on the coconut oil. Instead, after the tofu is browned, I make my stir-fry in the same pan using whatever residual oil is lingering and a good sauce like my favorite from DIY Vegan.

Another thing I love about this tofu--it's easy to just make a little bit at a time, a few days in a row. I cover the tofu and let it marinate and keep the seasoning already blended and ready to go sealed in a bag. They both sit in the fridge until I beckon them.

What You Need:
♥ 3/4 cup water
♥ 1/4 cup tamari
♥ 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
♥ 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast, divided
♥ 2 cloves garlic, minced
♥ 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
♥ 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion, divided
♥ 14 oz Extra-Firm Tofu, cut into 32 even cubes as pictured above

♥ 1/4 cup potato starch
♥ 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
♥ 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
♥ 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
♥ 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
♥ 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
♥ 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
♥ pinch red pepper flakes

♥ 1-3 teaspoons coconut oil or evoo

What You Do:
In a small baking dish, mix together the water, tamari, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, garlic, ginger, sesame seed oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of the granulated onion to make a marinade. Submerge the tofu cubes into the marinade and refrigerate for at least an hour, or cover and refrigerate up to a few days (the longer, the tastier)

In a plastic bag, put the potato starch, remaining nutritional yeast, remaining granulated onion, white pepper, turmeric, black pepper, salt, cayenne and red pepper flakes. Close the bag, and shake well to combine.

Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil.

Reserve one hand for handling the marinated tofu, and another for handling the seasoned tofu: add about 5 pieces of tofu to the bag, seal, and shake to coat.

Quickly place the tofu into the hot pan and cook, flipping the cubes over repeatedly, until they are golden brown and crispy on all sides. Repeat with more tofu as desired, using the coconut oil as needed to crispify the tofu.

Thanks for visiting my little crumb of the internet! Come back soon and tell your friends.
xo kittee


  1. I'm going to have to try this! Sounds so good!

  2. dude. little crunchy and well-seasoned cubes of tofu goodness are one of my top foods of all time. I am going to make this pronto. Is it okay if I just plan to eat them all straight up?

    1. Sure thang. Have you made my tofu army? These are similar, but a bit more decadent and peppery.

  3. Sounds so yummy! I just bought a tofu-overload, so this seems perfect to get rid of some ;)

    1. Make Somer's quiche with that overload!!!!!

  4. These came out great, so great that I eat them all!
    Only had arrowroot so used that and decided to bake these morsels of yummyness with wonderful results. (425 for 25 min.)
    Thank you!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.