Monday, February 29, 2016

Review: Spiral Spring's Spirulina Maxima

vegan gluten free blog kittee
Here's a snap of the two Spiral Spring products I tried: (L) Spirulina Maxima and (R) Choco Spring.
This post is all about spirulina, which I'm pretty sure I say incorrectly. I pronounce it spy-ro-LEAN-uh, but when I was telling my friend Ben about this post, he corrected me and said, "Ohhh. You mean SPEAR-uh-lean-uh?" I think spies are cooler than spears, so I'm unmoved.  

Anyway, spirulina is a blue-green algae with a boatload of nutrition, that I think tastes really nice in its powdered form. I developed a knacker for it way back in the 90s, when I used to work in a small natural foods store. So, when the opportunity to review some new-to-me spirulina products landed on my Cake Maker door mat, I was eager to get tasting.

Spiral Spring sent me several products to try, and what I'm reviewing today is their spirulina maxima powder and their smoothie mix called Choco Spring, which is simply spirulina maxima, plus ground oats, organic cocoa and cinnamon. If you click on the above links, it'll bring you to their respective product pages where you can check out their nutrition facts. 

I knew I'd be a big fan of the Spiral Spring products, because of my above-mentioned spirulina infatuation, and because their spirulina seems very clean (the biggest thing to watch out for when purchasing spirulina is heavy metal contamination). These products are made with mountain water that comes directly from the Andes and are certified organic, non GMO, GF, and heavy-metal free (sorry all you fans). 

Adding spirulina to your favorite smoothie is easy.  Pictured here: 1 cup unsweetened soymilk, 1 frozen banana, a few frozen strawberries, 1 cup frozen spinach, 1 date, and 2 teaspoons spirulina maxima.
I'm a fan of spirulina because I straight up enjoy how it tastes, but it's also awesome because it's a good plant source of protein, iron, calcium, B vitamins, and even EFA. Their website even states that "it's popular among the vegans!" Ha ha. See?

I have no idea how to describe what spirulina tastes like. Some might say a little fishy, but I strongly disagree because I'm really averse to fishy tasting foods including almost all seaweed. I think spirulina tastes a little green, but very mellow and maybe even a little sweet. Not gonna lie--it does smell a bit fishy, so I generally try to hold my breath when I'm measuring it out.

If you're worried that the flavor might be too strong, the Choco Spring smoothie mix is very mild. When I added it to my regular smoothie, I almost couldn't even detect a spirulina taste. It's smooth with just a hint of chocolate and oats for thickening powers. Spiral Springs also sells spirulina maxima tablets for all you weanies.

Stick some in pancakes!
Spirulina also makes a great addition to pancakes! Just add a teaspoon, or as much as you like, to your favorite recipe. My go-to pancake recipe is tweaked from Allyson Kramer's Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats. They're made from sorghum and tapioca starch and are so good, DZ eats them instead of a wheaty version happily!

If you wanna get in on the algae-action, Spiral Springs is offering my readers a chance to purchase their spirulina products at 20% off. Simply use the discount code Cake20, when you check out from their website.

I also like spirulina in my chia oats (recipe below). So purty. 
Besides smoothies, chia oats, and pancakes, spirulina is great in protein/energy balls
tofu vegan gluten-free crispy stir-fry protein
Peanut Butter-Banana Spirulina Chia-Oats
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Did Elvis like overnight oats? I will never know. :(
I do know that I prefer my oats on the firm side. Thus, I usually eat these 15-30 minutes after preparation, when the chia has thickened just a little, but the oats still have texture. If you're good with softer oats, this recipe also works just fine if thrown together the night before and chilled in the fridge while you ZZzzzZ.

What You Need:
❤ 1/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
❤ 2 tablespoons chia seeds
❤ 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
❤ 1 1/4 cups vegan milk (I used a coconut milk/soymilk combo)
❤ 1/2 frozen banana, slivered
❤ 1 teaspoon natural peanut butter, or your fave nut butter
❤ maple syrup, agave, or stevia drops
❤ roasted peanuts, optional

What You Do:
Into a pint-sized mason char, put the oats, chia, and spirulina and mix together with a small spoon.

Add the vegan milk, banana and peanut butter, and stir gently to combine. Sweeten to taste and garnish with peanuts just before eating, if using.

Refrigerate until the chia has begun to thicken. I like to eat mine after 15-30 minutes, but if you like softer oats, feel free to cover the oats and refrigerate overnight. The longer the chia-oats sit, the more they'll thicken.

Thanks for visiting my little crumb of the internet! Come back soon and tell your friends.
xo kittee

Disclosure: I received free spirulina review products from Spiral Springs. No compensation or gift was exchanged for this review, and the rad opinions posted here are my own and always will be.


  1. I am a loyal and devoted lover to spirulina for my body & heavy metal for my spirit and it's good to know of a spirulina source that do not marry the two! I still dream and lust after all the spirulina infused treats I had in circa 1990's New Zealand -those Southern Hemi's know how to party with algae! I like it straight up too and it's one of my favorite colors xo

    1. Oh I agree. It's just the prettiest color when you add it to anything. Yum. I need to keep playing around with it, I haven't had such a big bag to play with in quite a while.


  2. Hahaha!! I love the way you pronounce spirulina! I haven't tried that brand before, but we're huge fans of spirulina in our house...especially when combined with peanut butter :) And whoa, those pancakes look so fluffy and delicious! xo

    1. :)
      What sort of peanut butter and spirulina combos are you hiding up your sleeve?

    2. You should definitely try them! I'm pretty sure the recipe comes up on Amazon if you "search inside!"


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.