Thursday, February 4, 2016

Chickpea Flour Pudla Pizza!

vegan gluten free blog kittee
Pudla Pizza is really good! My new favorite lunch.
I've written about pudla lots of times before, I'm pretty fond of their high-protein, low fat, pantry friendly ways. Even though I think we're pretty good friends, I haven't made one in ages. Literally, it's been maybe even close to a year!

But since I really need to make a grocery run, my lunch today was dredged up from the bottom of the produce drawer and from an almost empty bag of garbanzo flour hiding in the freezer. I also had a bit of pizza sauce languishing in a jar and was lucky to have some vegan shreds hiding in the bologna drawer. So, I decided to try something new with my old pal.

The chickpea crust is definitely sturdy enough to hold up a bunch of toppings, yet it's still moist.
turmeric ginger cashew creamer chai recipe vegan gluten-free
Pudla Pizza!
Makes a 7-8" pizza

There's no science to making good pudla, just a little formula that goes something like:
chickpea flour + leavener + seasoning/add ins + water + acid = a thick pourable batter.

I stirred onion, pickled jalapeno, red bell pepper and parsley into the pudla pizza pictured here, and topped it with sauce, shreds and extra red bell pepper and parsley.

What You Need:
♥ 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chickpea/garbanzo flour (besan or gram flour will work too)
♥ 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
♥ 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
♥ pinch salt
♥ freshly ground pepper
♥ 1/2 cup water
♥ 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
♥ 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
♥ 1/3 cup chopped vegetables of your choice, divided
♥ 1 teaspoon evoo
♥ about 5-6 tablespoons of pizza sauce
♥ a small handful of vegan shreds

What You Do:
Preheat the oven to 425F and line a small baking sheet with parchment.

In a small bowl, put the flour, turmeric, baking soda, salt and a few grinds of pepper and whisk to combine.

Add in the water and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Using a spoon, stir in half of your chopped vegetables and half the parsley.

Heat the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Pour in the batter and shake the pan to even it out. Cook about 3 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown, and the top has begun to set along the sides and has formed bubbles in the center of the pancake.

Flip and cook two minutes longer. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.

Spread the pizza sauce evenly on top of the pudla, top with the cheese shreds and remaining vegetables and herb.

Bake until the cheese melts, about 11-13 minutes. Cut into quarters and devour.


Thanks for visiting my little crumb of the internet! Come back soon and tell your friends.

xo
kittee

14 comments:

  1. Pudla, socca — whatever you want to call it — is one of my favorite quick meals. I've never used it to make pizza, though now that you've shown me the way, it seems like a pretty great idea. Yesterday I used it to wrap up some leftover Ethiopian food, and I plan to use it to make a pudla version of masala dosa. I like to add millet flour to mine. Yesterday I added two tablespoons of leftover chickpea cooking water and I was amazed at the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh neat! What did the aqua faba do??

      Delete
    2. I usually have to cover mine so it will cook properly, and I usually treat it like an omelet — you know, thickish and filled with veggies or something. With the af, bubbles formed almost immediately like they do on a regular pancake, and it cooked quickly without a cover. I'm experimenting with making thinner ones to use for savory wraps, similar to dosa.

      Delete
    3. Interesting! I never have to cover mine, I wonder if adding a leavener helps?
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. Yum! What a great idea Kittee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia! I hope you make some!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. I will! I'll let you know how it goes :)

      Delete
  3. This is genius! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the veggies inside and on top! I've been making pudlas several nights a weeks based on your recipe, they are all so good! Have you ever noticed the pudla go pinkish red as it cooks? I use apple cider vinegar, turmeric, baking soda in a cast iron, i don't know which of these elements causes it, it's kinda cool and doesn't affect the taste... as far as I know ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange! I bet it has to do with the cast iron? I use a non-stick anodized skillet. Maybe it's the ginger??? Food science.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  5. I'm so sad that chickpeas are one of the thing that bother my insides, I used to adore your pudla recipes and I don't think that this one would have been an exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Did you know you can make something really similar using soaked whole mung beans? You basically soak them for a few hours and then grind them up in a blender with some water and spices...

      http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/pesarattu-whole-mung-bean-pancakes
      http://foodandspice.blogspot.com/2013/01/mung-bean-pancakes-chila.html
      http://www.easyfoodsmith.com/?p=1576

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. I didn't but that's exciting and I'll definitely be trying it as soon as I'm reunited with my blender. I have colitis so beans are a tricky area but it looks like they're meant to be one of the easiest beans to digest so fingers crossed!

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.