Sunday, January 3, 2016

Somer's Early Retirement Vegan Tofu Quiche

vegan gluten free blog kittee
vegan gluten-free tofu quiche made with cashews broccoli and cheese shreds
Somer's most delicious Broccoli-Cheddar Quiche.
I've been nommolating on Somer's Tofu Quiche a bunch this holiday season. It's sorta perfect for cold weather and guests, and if you're familiar with Somer's recipes, or her blog Vedged Out--it's pretty much her cheeseball in quiche form!!!

I've made three so far, the first with extra firm silken tofu (Mori Nu) and the last two with firm and extra firm water packed tofu from the dairy case They've all been very similar in texture, although I do prefer the quiche made from regular ol' tofu. If you have a wimpy blender, you might want to start with the boxed tofu, 'cuz it's much easier to blend smooth with the cashews.

vegan gluten-free tofu quiche made with cashews broccoli and cheese shreds
Broccoli-Cheddar Quiche Innards sitting in a sorghum-teff pastry a la Laurie Sadoskie.
If you're not a fan of tofu quiche but want to be, give Somer's a try! It's creamy and rich from the addition of cashews and has a little starch, which helps it set and gives it great texture. The quiche can be seasoned however you like and with whatever fillings you desire, as long as you stay true to the original recipe and keep in the tofu, cashews, nooch, and starch.

I love it with Follow Your Heart cheddar shreds--they melt and form sorta a cheese skin on top. If you use the smoked paprika (which you should, because it adds great flavor), your quiche will not be white--the pepper gives off a slightly salmon color.

Ethiopian flavored vegan tofu quiche
Susan's Ethiopian inspired quiche with seasoned oil from Teff Love and berbere. Mrrowr.
Besides playing around with different tofu in the filling, I've stayed with similar add-ins: #1 Broccoli-Artichoke, #2 Broccoli-Cheese, and #3 Broccoli-Scallion-Cheese. Our pal Susan made one she loved with Ethiopian flavors from Teff Love by using seasoned oil and berbere, and Somer likes to add spinach, onion and tomato.

vegan gluten-free tofu quiche made with cashews onion tomato and spinach
Somer's quiche with tomato, onion and spinach.
She adds 1 finely chopped onion, 1 cup of chopped tomato, and 2 big handfuls of julienned spinach.
recipe banner
Somer's Tofu Quiche
Makes a 8-9" quiche
Somer is taking a blog break these days, and gave me her blessing to share this recipe. Please read through the notes and recipe below, before you start:

☆ There's not a lot of moisture in this recipe, so it can be a bit challenging to get the cashews completely smooth using a blender. I use a high powered blender and don't soak the nuts, but it does take a bit of effort. If you don't have a high powdered blender (and even if you do!), soak your notes beforehand either overnight, or for 30 minutes or so in boiling water, or use a strong food processor. If I'm using water packed tofu, I usually add 2-4 tablespoons of soymilk to help the blender smooth things out.

☆Use whatever pie pastry floats your boat (make sure there's no sugar, since you'll want this to be savory). I parbake my crust for 10 minutes at 350F, but I don't believe Somer parbakes hers.

What You Need:
14 oz extra firm or firm tofu, crumbled (if you use firm, squeeze out any excess water)
1/2 rounded cup un-roasted cashews
1-2 tablespoons white wine
Several dashes hot sauce
2-4 tablespoons vegan milk, optional
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon white or mild miso
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, or 1 teaspoon wet mustard
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch, arrowroot, or tapioca starch

2-3 cups of chopped or shredded add-ins such as: steamed broccoli, artichoke hearts, onion, tomato, julienned greens, scallions or vegan cheese (I usually add 'bout 2 cups of chopped steamed broccoli and 1/2 cup shredded Follow Your Heart cheese)

A single pie crust

What You Do:
Preheat the oven to 400F.

Put the tofu, cashews, wine and hot sauce in a blender and process until smooth. This will take a bit of time, so go slowly. If your blender is having a hard time, add a few tablespoons of the optional milk to help get things going.

Add in the nutritional yeast, miso, mustard, granulated onion, garlic, paprika, salt, baking powder and starch. Blend until completely smooth, then transfer to a bowl and stir in your chosen chopped vegetables and/or cheese shreds.

Scrape the tofu mixture into your pie crust and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula. Cover the pie edges with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes until the crust is golden.

Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.

vegan gluten-free tofu quiche made with cashews broccoli and cheese shreds
If you come up with any amazing flavor combos, please comment below!
If you like my writing and/or my recipes, please consider sharing my posts (by linking back here), following me online, and being my friend when you bump into me at Food Fight. Building an audience with actual numbers makes it easier for me to offer you more and more content.

Thank you for visiting my little crumb of the internet!

xo
kittee

24 comments:

  1. Broccoli cheese quiche sounds delicious and perfect! You're making me wish I had a real kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you make me wish I was globe trotting!

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds delicioso! Kittee, do you think this would work out without a crust, if the pan is lined with parchment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably make a crust with brown rice and tahini first, but sure?? It's firm out of the fridge.

      Delete
    2. Ooooh....brown rice and tahini crust! Kittee, could you please share the recipe?

      Delete
    3. I haven't made one in a long time, Stephanie. You basically just mix warm brown rice with a little tahini and salt (and herbs if you want like parsley). Press it into a pie glass and fill!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    4. It's terrific without a crust. I just rubbed the pan with a bit of olive oil. Minimal sticking with the first slice only.

      Delete
  3. I must try this if it's basically her cheeseball in quiche form because that cheeseball is the shiz!! Also, speaking on Somer, I'm doing her 28-day Abundance Diet this month! Today is Day One!! So far, I'm loving all her recipes. Great baked falafel, quinoa minestrone, vegan mozzarella, artichoke-spinach dip, cashew sour cream. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool!! Make her nacho sauce. I loved that bunches.

      Delete
    2. And the cookie balls! And the green smoothie with cocoa.

      Delete
  4. This makes me so happy to be back in my kitchen! Going shopping for the vegetables today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quiche was soooo good! Impressed everyone by visuals, smell, taste and texture!

      Delete
    2. Hmm I wonder if my first comment actually disappeared? I had said I made the quiche and brought it to a family dinner - it wowed the crowd, looked great, smelled great, tasted great! win win win!

      Delete
    3. yay!! so glad it came out good! i've made soooooooooooo many. yum yum. Somer knows.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to try this quiche! I'm thinking of using Annie's pie crust from her book "Crave, Eat, Heal" because it's oil-free. (Minus the stevia of course.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couuldn't find this in her book! I only saw date based crusts? Where's it hiding?
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  6. This quiche is one of the best things I've ever eaten. Top five for sure. I am in love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked it then you should've put a ring on it!
      Wuh uh oh uh uh oh oh uh oh uh uh oh.
      Wuh uh oh uh uh oh oh uh oh uh uh oh.

      Delete
  7. do you have a trusted pie crust recipe you use? i might make this this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is GF! But Google vodka crust from cooks illustrated / Americas test kitchen. Just leave out any sugar!!

      Delete
  8. I have made this quiche so many times now - it is delicious! I soak the cashews and use a food processor. I mix the cashews and tofu (extra firm water packed, drained and pressed) together until creamy then add everything else. It comes out perfect every time. Thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! This is great to know. Thanks so much for sharing how you do it in a FP. It's a terrific recipe for sure! I'll let Somer know you love it!
      <3

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.