Wednesday, January 27, 2016

New Orleans Style Butterbeans are in My Dreams.

vegan gluten free blog kittee
Butterbeans, beam me up.
This time of year, when I'm pining away wishing for New Orleans, a big pot of butterbeans sure makes me happy. Any kind of dry, white lima will work in this recipe, just stay away from the bags of green limas in the freezer section. Totes different animals.

I've been eating mine all week in bowl form with brown rice, Squeeze Me Sauce, and kraut, but these would go even better with a bunch of Southern sides like cornbread, mac, collards and BBQ tofu.
turmeric ginger cashew creamer chai recipe vegan gluten-free
Butterbeans = Best Beans
Makes about 8 cups
Before you start, please read through the notes and recipe below!

This recipe makes a giant pot of butterbeans. Enough for many meals, or to squirrel away in the freezer. To save time, I make mine in a pressure cooker/slow cooker, but they will come out equally well cooked on the stovetop, you'll just need to babysit the pot for a few hours as it cooks.

Remember! Never add acid (lemon juice, hot sauce, or tomatoes) to dry beans, as it'll toughen them up, preventing them from getting soft. Add any in at the end, just before serving!

What You Need:
❤ 2 tablespoons evoo
❤ 1/2 onion, diced
❤ 2 stalks celery, diced
❤ 1 small red pepper, diced (about 3/4 cup)
❤ 1 jalapeno, halved and seeded
❤ 1 bay leaf
❤ 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
❤ 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
❤ 1 teaspoon onion granules
❤ 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
❤ 1/2 teaspoon thyme
❤ 1 pound dry baby limas (butterbeans), soaked overnight and drained
❤ 4 cups water, plus more if needed
❤ 2-3 teaspoons unsalted New Orleans style seasoning like Tony Chachere's, (optional)
❤ 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
❤ hot sauce and freshly ground white pepper for garnish

What You Do:
In a large pot or pressure cooker, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and add the onion, celery, red pepper, jalapeno, bay leaf and salt. Cook, stirring regularly, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown. 

Add the garlic, onion granules, paprika, and thyme and continue to cook and stir for about two minutes. 

Add the butterbeans, water, New Orleans seasoning, if using, and the liquid smoke. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly, until the beans are melt in your mouth soft, and the liquid has thickened to form a gravy. I pressure cooked mine for 50 minutes, and then continued to slow cook until they were done. On the stovetop, this will take several hours, and you may need to add additional water.

Season to taste with salt and serve with lots of hot sauce and white pepper.

Dreamy, Creamy, Butterbeamy.
If you like my writing and/or my recipes, please consider sharing my posts (by linking back here), following me online, and being my friend when you bump into me at Food Fight.


Thanks to Ryan for sharing this song with me, and thank you for visiting my little crumb of the internet!
xo
kittee

4 comments:

  1. This is cooking on the stove now! I had a pound of lima beans sitting in my pantry waiting for inspiration, and this just looked so amazing I had to start prepping it as soon as I saw the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out, although I'm basically 100% sure I'll love it since I'm crazy about limas and all of the other ingredients suit me! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. it took me a long time to realize that Lima beans are great. this looks so fantastic. I'll make some this week if I can, it sounds like it'd be perfect with the collards and cornbread, which somehow are February foods to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea!! Frozen limas from the store are nothing like fresh or dry limas!!
      I hope you make these!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.