Wednesday, December 16, 2015

It Happened to Me: Tacos Turned Me into a Party Magnet.

 "...The taco cleanse isn't about perfection...it's about being awesome."
Tuesday
Dear Taco Journal,
Today I spent a few hours in the kitchen, cooking up some staples so I'll be ready to embark on my new journey tomorrow--a three day Taco Cleanse! Even though I've done juice fasts before, for some reason, I feel SUPER nervous about this cleanse. I know I should focus on what the authors say, "...the taco cleanse isn't about perfection...it's about being awesome." But, I'm still pretty worried that I'll do something wrong, or accidentally fold my tortilla too many times.

I KNOW I'm worthy of receiving the benefits of a high-taco diet. When I go to sleep tonight, I'm gonna try to keep this in my thoughts until I fall asleep.

I think the best way to set yourself up for success on a taco strong diet, is to keep lots of fillings and toppings stashed in the fridge. Then when you're in a rush, just grab a portable tortilla and you're gold. 
So much quicker than cleaning a stupid juicer.
Wednesday
Dear Taco Journal,
"I decide what I eat, and today I choose tacos."

I'm so glad I stocked up on organic corn tortillas, it made hopping on the taco train pretty easy this morning. I put a scoop of Fruity Salsa on a toasted corn tortilla with some avocado and was extra careful to just fold the tortilla in half once. Almost immediately, I felt a bit light headed. So crazy that one taco is so strong!! I think I can get the handle on tacos-all-the-time, at least I hope so. I really want to see some results...

I've already decided what lunch will be, so I can start getting excited about it--Mighty Migas topped with Cilantro-Avocado Tranquility Sauce. Oh god. I'm freaking out 'cuz the recipe specifically states the migas need to be eaten with flour tortillas to get all the transformational benefits. Breakfast has me feeling sorta buzzed and tingly, I hope this feeling lasts a while!

Hello Mom? If you're reading this, you might want to try one of these Mighty Migas tacos with Cilantro-Avocado Tranquility Sauce and Apple Fruity Salsa. I'm posting the recipe for you below. 
I never thought I'd be able to make my own flour tortillas, but thanks to The Taco Cleanse, I had the courage to make these today! Whenever I'd start feeling nervous about using the gluten-free flour mix Somer sent me, I'd just chant to myself "Be courageous, because tacos give you courage." It worked!! The tortillas even bend without cracking or breaking, proof that tacos = miracles!!


Abundant Potatoes to top some Ion-Charged Refried Bean tacos. 
I chanted my taco mantra the entire time I diced these potatoes! 
Tonight, after another migas taco, I made myself go to a party I didn't really want to attend. It was weird, 'cuz not only did I have a great time, but people seemed drawn to me in a new way. I was afraid of being a bore, but everyone seemed genuinely interested in hearing about my high taco diet. I friended like six new people on FB! By the way, I've decided tacos are so much better than green juice, I am taco strong!!!! 

The better I feel, the more I realize I need to have a taco-talk with my mom about her "lifestyle choices," I sorta think she's been eating too many burritos lately.

If you follow the instructions in the taco cleanse manual and eat Mighty Migas on corn tortillas, you will benefit from two superfoods--corn tortillas and flour tortillas! (I swear, after dinner tonight I felt like I could go out dancing all night!).
Mighty Migas
What started out as a way to use up leftover corn tortillas has become a staple of brunch tables. Migas tacos are transformational because they contain two superfoods: corn and flour tortillas. If you've been afflicted with collywobbles or gripe, try eating at least one migas taco a week. Because your homemade corn tortillas are probably too delicious to leave any leftovers, tortilla chips stand in here.

What You Need:
♥ 1 tablespoon cooking oil
♥ 1/2 cup chopped onion
♥ 1 jalapeno, sliced into rings
♥ 14-18 ounces firm tofu, drained
♥ 1 teaspoon salt
♥ 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
♥ 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
♥ 1 cup crumbled tortilla chips
♥ 1 cup seeded, chopped tomato
♥ 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
♥ 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk or water
♥ 1/2 cup vegan cheddar, optional
♥ 8 Flour Tortillas

What You Do:
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and jalapeno for 2 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften.

Crumble the tofu into the pan and sprinkle with the salt, cumin, and pepper. Cook until the tofu is dry and browned on at least one side, about 10 minutes. Try not to stir too often as this prevents browning.

Add the rest of the ingredients, including the cheese if you're using it, and stir thoroughly. Cook until the tomato softens and the liquid is completely absorbed.

Serve in the flour tortillas.

Recipe from The Taco Cleanse: The Tortillas-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life, copyright ©Wes Allison, Stephanie Bogdanich, Molly R. Frisinger, Jessica Morris, 2015. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.


Thursday
Dear Taco Journal,
Today is supposed to be the last day of my intense high taco journey. I feel a bit anxious about incorporating non-tacos into my diet tomorrow, so I think I might continue to cleanse for another day, and then maybe ease into some other kinds of tortilla based meals on Saturday mixed in with taco leftovers. Maybe a tostada on a soft tortilla would be OK (so I can bend it if I start feeling bad?). I'm gonna be really disappointed if I can't sustain this feeling. After I practice some taco yoga tonight, I'm planning to check in with myself to see if this is the right transition for me.

All the things that make me feel like the best person I can be!
On the menu today is Ion-Charged Refried Beans on toasted corn tortillas with Abundant Potatoes and Bright-Eyed Buffalo Sauce. I'm hoping this combination will propel me in the right direction. I still have some leftover Fruity Salsa from yesterday, so depending on my energy center, I might add some of that too. 

I know this might be considered TMI for a public taco journal, but tonight after dinner, my urine smelled like Ion-Charged Refried beans--a really great indication of intense detox. I'm thrilled!
It's so important that information about The Taco Cleanse and its benefits are spread far and wide. Realizing this, the publisher of this ground breaking guide is offering a free copy to one of my readers in the U.S. or Canada. To win your own copy (and change your life), please comment on this post telling me how you hope tacos will affect you. I'll randomly pick a winner on December 26th (be sure to comment (with an easy way to reach you!!) by 10 PM PST on December 26th to be eligible).

***The winner is Rie Chan!***

If you like my writing and/or my recipes, please consider sharing my posts (by linking back here), following me online, and being my friend when you bump into me at Food Fight. Building an audience with actual numbers makes it easier for me to offer you more and more content.

Thank you for visiting my little crumb of the internet!

Taco Speed,
kittee

29 comments:

  1. Yay first comment! I want this book so I can get in touch with my taco side and eating more things with my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy mackerel. This has got to be one of the best blog posts ever. you are amazing. your tortillas look amazing. Fruity salsa. you are radiant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kittee, you made me laugh and you also made me want a taco. I can ask for nothing more from a blog post. I'm really feeling like I might need this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've inspired me! I need to start a taco cleanse in case I get invited to a party! Taco taco taco!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Taco Kittee,
    I've been in a serious food slump. I can't seem to kick things in gear enough to want to make something. It is definitely the wrong time of year to be feeling so meh. I think an ass kicking taco cleanse may be the cure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work at a burrito joint. Maybe I need more tacos now...?

    ~Midnite-hime
    harrypotter_rox ( at ) msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Taco God,

    I'm sorry. My eyes have been shut to your ways. Wooed by the taco bowl, I know not your transformative hand-held morsels of delight. Please forgive me, and show me the way with this cleanse.

    Sincerely,

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a copy of the Taco Cleanse would mean I can make my mom more tacos than she could ever dream of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that tacos can help me put an end to the endless bean clutter in my pantry and therefore improve my life manyfold. Sign me up for the giveaway! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need this so I can maybe have fewer dirty dishes, what with tacos being so portable and all. And this cleanse has no mention of forsaking coffee, which totally turns me off of other cleanses. Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son loves Mexican food and it's hard to find with his allergy list and him being vegan. This will be a good chance for my creative side to shine and feed us all some awesomeness Tacos rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still need this book! Everyone who is anyone already has it! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope they will encourage me to eat more whole foods instead of processed foods!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tacos are life! I literally live for Taco Tuesday and I feel like I need even more tacos in my life. I absolutely LOVED reading this post, Kittee! Almost peed my pants! HAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is hilarious! I have been on a tostada kick but home made tortillas??? Need!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't think of anything better for warding off the January/February blues than a taco cleanse!

    gaia at cinci dot rr dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Need to win this giveaway so that I can better understand how to switch to a taco strong life safely and wisely. Adriana adrioli72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope this book prevents me from refried-bean-vegan-taco fatigue! I could really use some fresh ideas -_-

    ida [dot] pobe [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adopting a taco diet can improve one's circulation, grow thicker hair and solve the world's economic crisis. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like the best cleanse ever! I believe those tacos would make me skinnier, happier, and cleansier. Find me on Twitter @mjgibbs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm hoping Taco Vision will save my family from our burrito rut! Help us Taco Vision - you're our only hope! psuke(dot)ksc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I first started seeing blog posts about a new book called the "The Taco Cleanse", I'll admit I was skeptical. Cue audible, exhausted sighing and eye rolling. "Does anyone actually think they can cleanse via tacos??" I thought. But after reading about one woman's taco transformation, I'm sold. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I'm really looking forward to transforming my burrito-guzzling, zombified life and embarking on my taco strong fantastic journey! jcanilly@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to lead my lovely friends in a taco cleanse and this will help leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I read this I misunderstood and thought you'd attended a party and immediately offended 6 people instead of "friended". I hope the Taco Cleanse will make me less cynical and more likely to friend than offend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Doing the Taco Cleanse sounds like a New Years Resolution I could keep! Very happy I found your blog; thank you --

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, and if I am lucky enough to win ... juliel (dot) harris (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.