Sunday, November 22, 2015

Peanut Butter and Jam Freezer Cups

These cups really are my jam! They're sweetened with nothing but a little maple syrup and coconut sugar.
Here we go! More peanut butter action, this time in peanut butter cup form. I used the same recipe for the chips/magic shell I posted a few days ago, but formed them into bite-sized cups and filled them with chia jam.

Stuffed with strawberry chia jam from the brand new DIY Vegan (by Nicole Axworthy and Lisa Pitman),
which I'll be reviewing and hosting a giveaway for on December 7th! 

Their blogs are wonderful, and this book is proving to be a great addition to my hoard.
These cups look fancy, but they only take about 15 minutes from start to finish. I hope my neighbors don't read this, 'cuz I'm making some for them for the holidays. Also! If you're running late to a potluck, these win! Everyone will be happy, and they're maybe even faster than hummus to blast out of the kitchen. Unless it's a nut-free potluck, in which case--hummus always wins.
Peanut Butter and Jam Freezer Cups
Makes 9 small cups

You can make these cups using a mini cupcake pan and wee paper liners, or just the papers by themselves on a plate or tray. Serve these out of the freezer, since the coconut oil will start to melt as soon as it hits your skin.

What You Need:
  • 1/4 cup melted, unrefined coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup, room temperature or warm
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • approximately 2 tablespoons of jam 
  • 27 peanut halves for decoration, optional
What You Do:
  1. Into a small bowl, add all of the ingredients except the peanuts, and stir to fully combine. If your maple syrup is cold, throw it in the microwave for a few seconds so it'll be easier to get smooth (otherwise the coconut oil will start to chunk up).
  2. Using a small spoon, place about a teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture into the bottom of 9 mini cupcake/candy liners. Spread it around so the entire bottom of the paper is covered and brush it a little bit up the sides of the paper. Throw the cups into the freezer for 5 minutes.
  3. Remove the cups from the freezer and add a very small dollop of jam into each paper. spread and flatten it out a little, and try to keep it from touching the sides of the paper (using a chopstick or dull knife for this task, makes is easiest).
  4. Divide the remaining peanut butter mixture amongst the papers and top each cup with three peanut halves.
  5. Return to the freezer until solid. They should be ready to go in 10 minutes, but will get even firmer after an hour or two.
These were seriously fun to photograph (and eat) around my yard.
My neighbors probably rank me quite high on their entertainment scale.
Obviously, you can fill these with whatever you want, it doesn't have to be chia jam or even jam at all. Although, I sorta think jalapeno pepper jam could be really great in these, or chocolate ganache with puffed rice cereal, granola, date caramel, dry fruit or even ice cream!

PBJ cuppers posing in a vintage Blue Heaven dish. Why do I never find these at the thrifts anymore?
And onto a different subject 
Mostly I blog because I enjoy sharing recipes, photos and being part of the vegan blog community. I also love having my favorite recipes in one easy to access place, where I can refer back to them easily. This space is like a personal diary, and sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic, I come back to read old posts about what I was up to years ago, or when we lived in New Orleans, or when we first moved to Portland (I've been blogging here since 2007, so there's lots of stuff lurking about!) 

My spirit apple.
I try my hardest to keep Cake Maker to the Stars as non-commercial and awesome as possible. However, competing with professional bloggers with fancy cameras, who get paid for their work (via commissioned content and ads), is really hard.

If you like my writing and/or my recipes, you don't even have to leave a coment! All I ask in return is for you to please consider sharing my posts (by linking back here), following me online, and being my friend when you bump into me at Food Fight. Building an audience with actual numbers makes it easier for me to offer you more and more content. Thank you for visiting my little crumb of the internet!



  1. The brainwaves are starting Kittee!
    - PB cups with apple jalapeno compote filling (think spicy PB cup apple pie)
    - PB cups with "Mexican" chocolate (cayenne, maca, cocoa)
    - PB cups with Thai lemongrass-chili-banana-lime filling (inspiration: Pad Thai, Peanuty Thai Curry)
    So many possibilities! So little time ...

    Katie :)

  2. The thrift store lament, so many things we never find any more :( Though I had two scores yesterday that filled me with holiday cheer :) I've got the goods for these peanut butter cups during my limited xmas gift making frenzy (literally the night of xmas eve) and they're so easy! Your blog is always tops best over any pro-show, I love the heck outta it!! <3 <3

    1. Thanks VV! What did you find at the thrift? Scores are the best!

    2. A friend sneaked up on me in the thrift and presented two stunning wolf sweaters he found in the boys section, I'm wearing one right now :) I have a significant wolfish collection growing since I was a kid. Anytime I find an old cowboy shirt that will fit my partner -big enough across the shoulders and back but not billowing in the waist- I feel like I scored too!

  3. Very tasty treats! Lovely appetizing photos too! Yummmm!

  4. These look so yummy, too bad I am already getting too much sugar from making xmas cookies and all the yummy snack foods for the holiday season.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.