Saturday, November 7, 2015

Quick No-Cook Vegan Yogurt and Fancy Kitchens.


My fancy yogurt smoothie in my fancy kitchen.
Frozen banana, blueberries, and spinach, a date, a sploosh of EFA oil, a squirt of stevia and yogz.
Even though I don't celebrate Hanukkah, and have never celebrated Hanukkah, the Hanukkah fairy (AKA Dazee's mom) usually pays me an annual visit. A couple of years ago, a dehydrator landed on my front steps, and I said, "Yes please, thank you. I love you Hannukkah."

Anyway, I know not everyone has a decked out kitchen the way I do, but if you do happen to have a blender and a dehydrator, I've stumbled upon the fastest and easiest way to make soy yogurt ever. It requires no cooking, and is thick and tangy in about THREE hours. I win at yogurting.

My naturopath wants me to cram all the probiotics in that I can, and I've been obliging. Yogurt smoothies have sorta changed my life, they are SO GOOD. I'm not much of a fan of yogz in a chocolate or carob smoothie, but with fruit it melts my heart and freezes my brain, all at the same time.

No Cook, Super Fast Vegan Yogurt
This recipe is adapted from Miyoko Schinner's yogurt in Artisan Vegan Cheese, but incorporates the cashew reducing tip I learned from smart Amey. I use a power blender, so soak your nuts if you don't. And if you don't have a dehydrator, just figure out a way to keep your yogurt warm, and it'll work. This makes a thick yogurt that does separate a bit, but blends easily with a spoon.

What You Need:
32 oz unsweetened soy milk (I use West Soy unsweetened, which contains only soybeans, water and salt)
1/3 cup "raw" cashew pieces
1/4 cup vegan yogurt (buy any vegan yogurt that has live cultures, and then save a little from one batch to make the next)
Contents from one vegan acidophilus capsule.

What You Do:
Put everything into a blender and process until creamy, then blend a bit more so the milk warms up a tiny bit. Pour into a quart jar and cap tightly. Wrap in a towel and *dehydrate around 110F. Check it every hour or so, mine's usually thick and tangy around hour three.

*NOTE* My dehydrator has a yogurt setting on the temperature dial, but I've found it's a bit too warm and curdles the yogurt. Check every hour or so until thick and tangy--it'll thicken up even more in the fridge.

xo
kittee

8 comments:

  1. Interesting! Do you think it would work with vegan yogurt cultures instead of already made yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! It'd probably work with just the acidophilus pill. But, I haven't tried. If you do, please report back!
      xo
      Kittee

      Delete
    2. I tried it! It was too simple not too and it works! I only added the cultures at the end of blending not too stir them too much. And I like my yogurt tart, so I left it an hour more. Thank you for sharing your super easy recipe! Can't wait for your report on tempeh :)

      Delete
    3. Yay!!!! I need to work up a little courage first!
      xo
      Kittee

      Delete
  2. Eons ago but I had luck making yogurt in the oven with just the oven light on. I think it took about eight hours in small jars and I don't remember what time of year, my place is either super hot or cold so that might have factored in too. Another delicious looking project for the dehydrator I've never taken out of it's box :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHUT. I love my dehydrator! Next up is tempeh.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I must try. My dehydrator doesn't enough love. I use it for kale and tomato chips. And flax crackers. But that's about it. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.