Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Freezer Peanut Butter Chips or Magic Shell


Oh look! A small bowlful of peanut butter heaven in chip form.
While in DC this past spring, I started playing around with raw chocolate--mostly in the form of peanut butter cups. It's SO EASY and can be whipped up lickity split to satisfy all devilish moods. Plus, since it's made with maple syrup, it doesn't affect my arthritis.

So lately, I've been playing around with a peanut butter version that can be used as a magic shell for ice cream (or nice cream for any Banana Girls lurking about), or as chips. They're intensely reminiscent of peanut butter chips from the '80s. I've no idea if those are still around, but I used to scarf up cookies made with 'em on a regular babysitting gig, back in the day. They're truly one of the only things I miss as a vegan.

The only caveat with these (besides that they're basically fat pills), is they need to be eaten cold, and will not hold up to heat without melting. I usually just eat these out of the freezer, but they'd also be perfect in raw desserts. You could even pour a batch on top of a raw cheezecake for an amazing top layer.
Freezer Peanut Butter Chips
Makes about 3/4 cup of chips.

I've only made these with vanilla extract, but I have plans to make the next batch with butterscotch extract, for--surprise--butterscotch chips. To use as a magic shell, just pour on top of the frozen dessert of your choice.

What You Need:
  • 1/4 cup melted, unrefined coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup, room temperature or warm
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
What You Do:
  1. Line a round cake pan with a piece of parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients, and stir until smooth. 
  3. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and place in the freezer for ten minutes, or until just solid. 
  4. Chop into desired sizes and keep frozen so they get really firm.
Fancy Mineral Fusion mani, as per usual.
My plan is to add this batch to some raw chocolate cookie balls, but I have to make up the recipe first, and they might not survive that long. I'll report back on that project, and in the meantime, I hope you enjoy.

If you like my writing and/or my recipes, please consider sharing my posts (by linking back here), following me online, and being my friend when you bump into me at Food Fight.

Thank you for visiting my little crumb of the internet!
xo
kittee

3 comments:

  1. Kittee!!!!!! Whoa, these are DANGEROUS! Made them after lunch and I very much doubt they'll last through the weekend. Willow devoured a little dish full and probably would have eaten the entire batch if I didn't stop her. SO good. I love the idea of adding them to raw cookie balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Yep, I usually eat them in two days. Good thing my naturopath likes me to eat a LOT of coconut oil.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. These look utterly irresistible! Yummm! A genius creation! :)

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.