Monday, November 9, 2015

Cuban Mojo Black Bean Soup and Marinated Rice a la Anthony


Anthony's not sure of the original source of this recipe, but thinks he may've gotten in from a newspaper column.
With the weather change and rain, I've been interested in exploring soups lately, and since I'd just cooked up a big batch of black beans, I decided they needed soupifying.

A crazy thing about me -- my veganism not only predates the internet, but it predates my first computer, which means I have a couple of three ringed binders full of hand written and photocopied recipes. When I first went vegan about 25 years ago, my very good friend Anthony passed down to me a few really good recipes, and I remembered I've been holding onto a black bean soup recipe he gave me that was really tasty.

I made it, loved it and decided to share, 'cuz that's what friends do.
X-TRA SPECIAL SUPER SURPRISE MOJO MEAL EXTRAORDINAIRE
AKA Anthony's Cuban Black Bean Soup and Marinated Rice

I found this soup very easy to make, while I watched TV and hugged Vee. I halved it, because I'm a party of one this week, and it gave me three very large meals. Make sure to read the recipe through before embarking, and check my notes at the end.

Marinated Rice Needs:
2 cups cooked long grain rice, white or brown
3 green onions, diced, OR 2-3 tablespoons diced onion
1 tomato, diced
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons wine/sherry vinegar
1-2 tablespoons minced basil or cilantro, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Black Bean Soup Needs:
4 tablespoons EVOO or organic canola oil
2 medium onions, diced
2 medium bell peppers, diced
5 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
About 3-5 cups vegetable stock, or water
6 cups cooked black beans
2 tablespoons sherry/wine vinegar
Salt to taste

What You Do For the Rice:
Put all of the ingredients into a small bowl, and stir well to combine.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper, cover and refrigerate until cold.

What You do For the Soup-ing:
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, garlic and a pinch of the salt and cook, stirring frequently until the onion is translucent and the peppers have softened. Be careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the cumin and oregano, and cook for one minute, then add 3 cups of the stock or water, and beans.

Simmer covered for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water as necessary to thin to your desired consistency, until the soup is very soft and has come together in a soup-like way. Add the vinegar and season to taste with more salt, if desired. See Notes!

Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a generous amount of marinated rice. Serve with cornbread on the side if you have it, or flame-toasted corn tortillas stuffed with salted avocado.

Notes
♥ I sorta had my way with this recipe and changed it up a little bit. After I cooked the soup for a good while and added the vinegar, I decided to puree it a bit to make it creamier. I used an immersion blender, but if you're using a regular blender, I'd suggest scooping out about half the soup and blending very lightly so the soup remains chunky.

♥ Important info to know -- acid will keep beans from getting soft, so cook the soup all the way through until the beans are very tender and plump, before adding the vinegar!

♥ The original recipe says to serve the rice at room temp, but I liked it cold on top of the hot soup. It also said to use white rice, but I used brown rice, 'cuz I prefer whole grains.

♥ Thanks Anthony!

Avocado on top, yep. Yep, yep, and yep.
I hope you make this and love it, and if you've any soups you're really into, please feel free to point me in their general direction (they don't need to be 25 years old).

If you like my writing and/or my recipes, please consider sharing my posts (by linking back here), following me online, and being my friend when you bump into me at Food Fight. Building an audience with actual numbers makes it easier for me to offer you more and more content.

Thank you for visiting my little crumb of the internet!
xo
kittee

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious , Kittee! I don't have an immersion blender, so a good ol' potato masher usually does the trick for me when I want my soups on the creamier side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a winter squash and sweet potato bisque that I've shared with others and we all love it! I roasted 3 different winter squashes separately with there own fresh herbs and coconut oil and roasted the sweet potatoes with there own herbs and all had select sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Then I combined all the vegs and blended together and puréed with coconut milk. It was delightful!!!! My taste buds were so happy and fulfilled! A healthy, but tasty soup! I made a huge pot and gave some away and froze the rest for my idea of "fast food"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummylicious! Thanks for sharing. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip about how vinegar reacts to beans -didn't know that and explains some cooking fails in my past! I just found you on Instagram (I am really late to that party) now I'm double fisting KBB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kittee! I don't have any soup tips, I just wanted to let you know that we just made this recipe for dinner at my house and it was a hit! It's so easy to make, but the addition of the marinated rice and avocado made it feel special. (Now I'm wanting to explore the "marinated rice/rice salad" genre some more...)

    Thank you Kittee - and Anthony too!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.