Monday, October 5, 2015

Mac 'n' Squeeze Me.

Mac 'n' Squeeze. Hopefully,  it'll get you some hugs.
I had some steamed acorn squash lefties in the fridge the other day and turned 'em into a really fast cheezy sauce that hit the spot tossed into a bowl of warm pasta elbows. I didn't even heat up the sauce, it went straight from the blender into the bowl of hot pasta.

Squeeze Me Sauce zoomed on top of brown rice, pintos, romaine and 'kraut.
Since I made the sauce on the run the other day, I hadn't bothered to write down how much of what I put into the sauce. I wanted more today, so I reenacted the scene again, but with a trusty pen and the back of an old medical bill.
Squeeze Me Sauce
Makes about 1 1/2 cups

A coupla things to note about this sauce:

  • I used a high speed blender, if you don't, be sure to soak the cashews beforehand so it'll be easy for you to get the squeeze sauce smooth. 
  • If you don't want to use pickled jalapenos, be sure to add a little acid like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar instead.
  • This sauce will work with whatever steamed or baked squash lefties you have around, but keep in mind that acorn squash isn't super sweet. If you use something like butternut or kabocha, you'll probably have to tweak the spices a bit to get the balance right.

What You Need:
1/2 cup Acorn Squash puree (mine was steamed, baked will be fine too)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup raw cashew pieces
1/2 red bell pepper (I used 2 small peppers about the size of a medium jalapeno)
5 slices pickled jalapeno (to taste)
2 teaspoons white miso
1 teaspoon onion granules
1 clove garlic
pinch salt

What You Do:
Place everything into the the jar of a blender and whiz until smooth. Eat with hot pasta or zoom over your favorite bowl.

Also, if you're not following me on Instagram, you're missing out on the hashtag gold.

0 zulu coconuts:

Post a Comment

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.