Thursday, September 3, 2015

Recipe! Spicy Celery Ranch!

Spicy Celery Ranch looking beeyootiful in some vintage Orchardware. (I grew the dill!)
Today I present to you a recipe for a spicy celery ranch dressing/sauce I've been making in one form or another for a few months now. It's pretty great, and it riffs very well, so feel free to play around with it. I think the miso really makes it pop, but if you don't have any I suppose a little bit of nooch might help round it out.

I've only ever made it in my high speed blender, so if you don't have or use one, be sure to soak the 'shews and mince up your garlic and celery so you're able to get this smooth--texture is everything.

I like this best with fresh dill, but dry works really well too, as do other herbs like cilantro, parsley, green onion, and fresh basil. 

Living on some kale chips in a little Glasbake chili bowl.
I even use this as a sauce to make dehydrated kale chips! Just reduce the water a bit and add in about 2-4 tablespoons of nooch as you see fit. I also love adding shredded carrot to mine, which I wouldn't use if you're planning to try baking these.

Besides chips, this stuff is super-yum zapped on top of bowls, and of course on salad. I've also used it for Baked Buffalo Cauliflower dunking purposes. I'm tempted to add celery seed for next time, 'cuz celery sorta wins in my mouth these days--especially with extra spicy stuff.

Atomic cashews.
Cashew based dressing like this one, thicken a bit in the fridge. When I make this I usually add the water judiciously, until I reach the desired thickness for whatever I'm making.


Spicy Celery Ranch
Makes 1/2 cup (plus a smidge)

This dressing is great on salads and bowls, and if you add a bit less water and some nooch it makes killer kale chips. I use a high speed blender, so if you don't, be sure to soak your 'shews and mince the veggies. 

What You Need:
1/3 cup unroasted cashews
1 heaping teaspoon white miso
1 teaspoon onion granules
1 clove garlic
Juice from 1/2 lemon
4 slices pickled jalapeno
1 6-7" celery stalk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
A tablespoon or so of fresh herb (see my comments above--dill, parsley, basil, cilantro, green onion, etc.)
Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired

What You Do:
1. Put everything but the fresh herb into a blender and process until smooth.
2. Add the water judiciously, until you get the desiredness thickness.
3. Pulse in the herbs, or mince by hand and stir them in.
4. Season to taste with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper, if desired.

xo

kittee

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad you posted the recipe here on your blog too! I saw it on Facebook and wanted to keep it on file to make sometime soon. BTW, we had another Ethiopian feast tonight from Teff Love. Many mmm's as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Glad you're getting mileage out of TL!!
      xo
      Kittee

      Delete
  2. Those dill buds are exquisite, like they are growing out of a dressing pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted the dill way too late, and now it's a small patch of baby bolting babies. <3

      Delete
  3. That photo is so pretty. And I love the idea of pickled jalapeno in ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of port pickled jalapeno in everything these days. I hope you try it Molly!

      Delete
  4. Nice job on the gardening, Kittee! I love dill - so pretty and fresh. I also dig your addition of miso in this. Haven't thought of that!

    Zsu @ Zsu's Vegan Pantry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seriously craving ranch...and dill. Once I get my hands on some white miso, I'm making th8s. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.