Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Dottie's Spaghetti Squash Nation

Chartreuse is one of my favorite colors. It's so pretty with the kidneys and hydrangeas!
Eat with toasted corn tortillas and avocado. Mmmmrrrzz.
Spaghetti squash always sound appealing so I buy them and they languish on my counter until they're almost dead. Then I fix them in really boring ways out of desperation. The spaghetti squash cycle of life at Team Bernskerns is sad business.

And still I buy them. You know why right? Scraping baked squash out of their shells and into those magickal spaghetti shreds is fun and worth repeating over and over again. So the other day, I got the idea to put the spaghetti squash looming on my counter into my favorite rice and bean salad instead of the rice. Oh boy--eureka good!

This salad is really tasty on its own (especially after a day or two in the fridge), but I found I really loved it in super simple tacos. Toast some corn tortillas over a gas flame on the stove and then smoosh with salted avocado and a few big forkfuls of this salad. If you're not into the EFA oil listed in the ingredients, then just use all EVOO.
Dottie's Spaghetti Squash Nation 
Makes about 8-10 cups--a biiiiig bowlful or a good amount to bring to a potluck.
Dress the salad judiciously, 'cuz squash sizes vary, and the sauce is schpicy!

What You Need:
1 medium spaghetti squash, baked until tender
1 can pinto beans, 15oz
1 can red kidney beans, 15 oz
2-3 green onions, minced (white and green)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or parsley for haters)
1/2 sweet red pepper, diced

2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons Seven Sources or Udos Oil (or more EVOO)
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
pickled jalapeno--to taste (I used several slices)
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

What You Do:
1. In a large bowl, combine the warm shredded spaghetti squash, beans, green onions, cilantro, and red pepper.
2. In a blender, whiz together the remaining ingredients to make a dressing.
3. Dress the rice (you might only want to use 3/4 of the dressing) and EAT!



  1. Mmmmm.....yum. I don't really make enough spaghetti squash. I need more in my life.

    1. I think that's how most of us feel about the lonely SS.

  2. I need to try spaghetti squash! it looks really good :)

  3. I pledge to invite spaghetti squash over to my oven more often this fall and I'll call up ol taco, kidney beans and avocado, make it a party! Chartreuse and magenta are electric together!

  4. Eating this for lunch right now! It's delicious! I was out of ancho so I just used 1 tsp of chipotle because my tummy is arguing with me today. I added tomatoes. When my avocados are ripe, I'll top it with them too. I'm eating it warm now. Looking forward to cold tomorrow.

    1. Oh good!! So glad to hear you made it and are enjoying it.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.