Thursday, June 11, 2015

I Went Away! Now I'm Back Eatin' Buffaloed Cauliflower.


vegan gluten-free buffalo cauliflower chickpea flour recipe
I know you must have missed me very much.
Hi! I had a wonderful time visiting my friends and family in DC, but now I'm very glad to be home in huggable-bluggable Portland, OR, stuffing myself silly with buffaloed cauliflower.

These cauli-dudes are really yummy to eat as long as it's not hot outside. If it's too hot, these are still delicious, but probably not worth the pain and suffering turning on your oven might cause--although they might be worth it. My advice is to sneak into the kitchen and bake them at night and then hide all traces of wrongdoing.

Cold lefties are really great stuffed into Salad Roll Whoppers. You can see evidence of this on Instagram. And if you run over to Periscope (you need a smart phone to watch), I actually made a live video preparing them for my lunch today (Hurry! The video link will only work for a short period of time).

Before I get to the recipe, I'm having trouble reaching the two winners of Annie's latest book and e-book! If Jacky DLT and Kittens Gone Lentil are reading this you won! If I don't hear from you by Sunday, I'm picking new winners! I dunnoooo how to contact you.
vegan gluten-free buffalo cauliflower chickpea flour recipe
Baked Buffaloed Cauliflower
Makes a big plateful--depending on the size of your cauliflower.

These are crispy out of the oven and really good, and even better if you dunk them into a cashew ranch dressing (with lots of garlic and dill).

What You Need:
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup potato starch
2 tablespoons nooch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
1 teaspoon onion granules
1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup soymilk
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets

1/3 cup Frank's hot sauce
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or EVOO
salt and freshly ground black pepper

What You Do:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. and line a baking sheet with parchment. Then give it a good spray with cooking oil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sorghum and chickpea flours, potato starch, nooch, baking powder, garlic, onion, curry and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the soymilk and whisk until a smooth batter is formed, then stir in the parsley. Add the cauliflower and toss with your hands until each piece is covered in batter. Arrange the cauliflower in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, then flip and bake for 8 minutes more. While the cauliflower is baking, prepare the Buffalo Sauce.

In a small bowl, combine the Frank's together with the coconut oil. Carefully remove the hot baking sheet out of the oven and toss the cauliflower in the Buffalo sauce until completely coated. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper as desired. Return to the oven and bake 4 more minutes (24 minutes total).

Serve hot with a ranch dressing like my Spicy Celery Ranch, or let cool and stuff into Salad Roll Whoppers!
xo
kittee

17 comments:

  1. Oh, Kittee. You've done it again. These look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorghum flour has been purchased today! These are on the menu for tomorrow night along with your Ethiopian mac & cheese plus sautéed kale. Will it be the best dinner ever? Quite possibly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where you live, and I'm putting on my shoes.

      Delete
  3. These look amazing. Did you use the original Frank's Hot Sauce? It seems like there are a million and one versions and flavors on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one. Any hot sauce that's not too hot.

      Delete
  4. Yummmzzz! I've been on a cauliflower wing binge lately, now I definitely have to try your recipe! Thanks Kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is in yellow curry powder? Bought all the other ingredients before I realized I missed that one! But I have tons of spices so I wonder if I can make an appropriate mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you could wing it for sure. I'm not exactly sure what's in it, but it's very mild and savory. I'd suggest turmeric, and very small amounts of cumin, coriander, or whatever savory Indian spices you like and have on hand.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! My cauliflower is ready to be buffaloed! I am going to use the spice mix in Vegan Richa's mom's pan-fried crusted okra. For anyone interested in making it, that's not the actual title of the recipe, but it's on her web site!

      Delete
  6. Hi, again! Question for you. I'm going to make these for a get together this weekend. I'd like to make as much as possible ahead of time, so that I'm not fiddling in the kitchen. However, I still want them to be crisp. What are your thoughts? What would you do ahead of time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Kittee!

    I made the buffalo cauliflower tonight for a gathering, and it was a big hit. I noticed when I was making it that chickpea flour isn't mentioned in the instructions when adding the other dry ingredients.

    Thanks again for an awesome recipe! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poo!! I just saw these messages. I NEVER get notified of comments anymore, and I don't know why!
      Thanks for the heads up about the chickpea flour, I updated the recipe. It sounds like you worked it all out, huh? I was gonna suggest prepping the cauliflower, and making the batter and sauce a little bit ahead of time. What did you end up doing?

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. Oh, no worries! It all worked out. My plan had been to make the batter & sauce ahead of time; however, I ran out of time. So I just prepped the cauliflower. While people finished gutting their pumpkins, I made the rest, and it didn't take too long at all. They were a major hit. I wrote about it on my blog in a recent pumpkin carving post.

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.