Thursday, February 19, 2015

Somer-Ball Lovin', Happened So Fast.


"Well-a, well-a, well-a, uh!
Tell me more, tell me more was it love at first sight?"
I've completely fallen for Somer's balls, even more than when I first posted about them. In case you missed them bouncing around the ol' web, Somer's original cheese ball recipe is here on her wonderful blog Vedged Out.

Because I can never leave well enough alone, I decided to culture them. Lo'! These balls of hers have been elevated from kick ace good, to a new kind of wonderful that in my ever so very humble opinion has got some full-blown ass going on too! I mean sass. I mean, yea-um.

With raw sunflower seeds and Mineral Fusion nail polish.
Besides culturing the cheese, I made a few mods to the ingredients because I knew 1.) once the cheese was cultured it would have a natural tang to it, and would no longer need the acid or alchol in the original recipe. And 2.) I added berbere, because HELLO!! Have you met me before?

So anyway, I'm not gonna reprint Somer's recipe here, because I know how to play nicely with friends, and she deserves all the crazy cheese traffic. Vegan cheese ain't no game.

I followed her recipe, but made the following changes:
  1. I soaked the cashews in a quinoa rejuvelac overnight. Then drained the 'shews reserving the liquid.
  2. I left out the dry sherry, apple cider vinegar, mustard powder, and cayenne.
  3. I added ground imported Ethiopian berbere to taste ('twas about a teaspoon)--berbere is salty, so it's also a good idea to reduce the salt a bit. Again, employ your tongue and taste it!
  4. I added 2 tablespoons of the drained cashew soaking liquid, if you have it, you can also add about 1/2 teaspoon of probiotic powder (like acidophilus). I've made it both ways, with no big differences.
  5. Before adding the coconut oil, I scraped the soft mixture into a bowl, covered it with a plate and left it on top of my fridge for 2 days. The temps around here were in the high 40s-low 50s. In hot weather, it will culture faster, so check it a few times a day to get it where you like it in the tang department.
  6. Once the cheese was tang-iful, I scraped the mixture back into my food processor and added the coconut oil. Then I proceeded with Somer's instructions.
Culture with care folks! This cheese should not get moldy or funky in any way while culturing.
With parsley
This cheese is so delightful and has such good texture and flavor-flav. For a party, you could easily get two decent sized balls from the recipe, or three small ones. I made one with chopped jalapeno mixed into the cheese, and I'm thinking pimiento stuffed green olives will be next.

With the cutest dog on earth, and a rice cracker. His whiskers kill.
Speaking of berbere. The Teff Lurve blog tour is in full effect. One of my hard working testers has a stop on her blog Windy City Vegan today, along with a recipe for Quick Teff Crepes. Please go check it out, and then join Team Kittee and buy a book! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.


Somer-balls make great stress balls for the mind and body.
Oh hey! You can also listen to me talk to Caryn Hartglass on REAL radio here!
See ya!
xo
kittee

P.S. The link to my book is an affililiate link on Amazon, where I make a teeny sum of moolah.

8 comments:

  1. Ima have to try your balls now. I LOVE LOVE Somer's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you must try them cultured! Report back!

      Delete
  2. I have never really cultured my own cheese because I am way too impatient. But these balls look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mihl!
      The original recipe is not cultured, so maybe that's more for you? My balls were small in these pictures, because I ate a lot of the cheese before I could be buggered to take pics!
      xo kittee

      Delete
  3. He is certainly one handsome hairy gentle man! I made Somer's cheese ball -on your recommendation- I never got to rolling it in something pretty cause we just started cutting into it right away. So much umami! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do find him adorable and handsome. Glad you tried Somer's, they're so yummy!! Coconut oil forever.
      xo kittee

      Delete
  4. I would love to make these! Quinoa rejuvelac...can I make this from scratch or do I need to buy it? I'm not familiar with this product. Just checked out a book on fermentation from the library so maybe that will inform me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MooMoo!
      Miyoko has a good recipe in her book Artisan Vegan Cheese. It's super easy. You basically sprout a grain like quinoa then soak it in water, which ferments. Recipe here: http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/how-to-make-rejuvelac-recipe/

      xo
      kittee

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.