Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Awaze Fitfit to the Rescue.

Spicy, tangy goodness.
I'm not gonna lie. This Ethiopian fitfit is rilllllly schpicy, but it's exactly what I wanted to eat tonight, 'cuz I'm trying to chase off a baby cold by turning my body into an inhabitable burning, gingery-hot volcano. 

I was inspired to make this fitfit from a similar dish I enjoyed at Maeza, an Ethiopian restaurant in Falls Church, Virginia. Whenever I see fitfit on the menu, I always order it (assuming it's XGFX), because I don't see it offered very often, and I love it. Usually if a restaurant has any, it'll be timatim fitfit, which is a simple combo of injera tossed in lemon juice, oil, salt, onion, jalapeno, and chopped tomato--like a refreshing bread salad. It's super good. At Maeza the timatim fitfit surprised me when it arrived at the table, as it was tossed in a spicy-tangy berbere based awaze sauce. I knew right away I wanted to try making some at home.

If you want this less spicy, reduce the berbere! And, be sure to pair it with cooling foods like avocado and kik alicha (mild, creamy split peas), or if you have Teff Love, with a big scoop of ayib (soft, uncultured cheese).

Be sure to use an Ethiopian berbere, because domestic berbere is mostly cayenne, and not only will you get the wrong flavor from it, it will blow off your top if you use 3 tablespoons... 
Ye'awaze Fitfit Be'timatim
Fitfit is a great way to use up day old injera.

❤ 3 tablespoons ground berbere
❤ 6 tablespoons water
❤ 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice, plus another tablespoon or so to taste
❤ 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
❤ 1 tablespoon tequila, gin, whiskey, or table wine
❤ 2 teaspoons agave nectar
❤ 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
❤ 1/4 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
❤ 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

❤ 2 1/2 cups torn injera
❤ 1/2 red or green pepper, diced (1/2 cup), or if you want this even hotter, slice up a jalapeno
❤ small tomato, diced (1/3 cup)
❤ 2-3 tablespoons minced red onion or green onion
❤ Salt, to taste
❤ Avocado, for garnish

Make an awaze sauce: put the berbere, water, lemon juice, oil, booze, agave nectar, granulated onion, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl and stir until smooth and well combined.

Combine the injera, pepper, tomato and minced onion in a larger bowl and add the awaze. Stir well to thoroughly coat the injera. Season to taste with salt and extra lemon juice, if desired. Cover and refrigerate until the injera has soaked up the sauce and is cold. Toss before serving and eat with lots of avocado.

Next stop on the Teff Lurve virtual tour--->Vegansaurus--February 12th.


  1. This looks excellent. At first I thought the injeera was seitan and it's a real shame I cannot get any teff flour around here.

    1. Buy online!! Teff flour abounds; Bob's Red Mill makes it!

    2. I thought is looked like seitan too. I can't imagine I'd ever have left over injera but if I did it's cool to have a recipe to zaz it up :) That lush green west coast grass!

    3. I went out in the yard yesterday and realized it needs to be mowed!!

  2. [ Smiles ] Thanks for sharing this nice vegan recipe!

  3. I hear you, but I never have any leftover injera! yum yum yum yum

    1. I've made injera three times this week! I have leftovers still.

    2. Oh! We also always buy extra just for fitfit...


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.