Friday, December 26, 2014

Tempeh-Kraut Salad

Pretty-pretty red cabbage and red beet kraut went into my first batch.
Tempeh salads are such a handy side-kick to have in your repertoire, 'cuz they're fast as heck to make, and are versatile, healthy, and super-delicious.

Usually I see tempeh salad recipes that mimic the flavors in chicken salad, but since I was never a fan growing up, I usually go in a different direction. Especially since I love mine best with tart, crunchy apple added. 

Here's the second batch with a homemade turmeric-chipotle green cabbage kraut.
The past few months I've been on a homemade kraut banger, which gave me the idea to try some with tempeh. I usually have a couple different kinds hanging out in the fridge, but if you don't make your own, or have classy neighbors who share, store-bought kraut totes-ma-goats will work. But just so you know, if you like kraut, it's SO VERY EASY to make at home. I like playing around with flavors and adding stuff like beets, jalapenos, chiles, fresh turmeric, and ginger to mine. But feel free to be more restrained if you're not into bedazzling your kraut.

Here's my kimbap wannabe roll.
Tempeh Kraut Salad, fancy seasoned rice, red pepper strips, and avocado.
With a kiss of sriracha. Smooooooch.
I like how a yummy tempeh salad can be:
  • eaten on its own, 
  • added by the spoonful to a leafy salad,
  • rolled up with a little romaine into a sheet of nori (if that's your swang),
  • paired with that same nori sheet, plus seasoned rice and avocado to make kimbap,
  • or stuffed with all the fixin's and a collard leaf and rice paper to make a giant Salad Roll Whopper.
  • whew!

All the stuff, ready for the big reveal!
Steamed tempeh, chipotle kraut, green onion, pink lady apples, and lemon zest snoozin' around until the dressing and cilantro are ready to mingle.  
If you're new to tempeh, it's important to steam or cook it before consuming. Since tempeh is a live cultured food, it can upset your stomach if ingested raw. I steam mine in a basket for ten minutes, then let cool until I can handle it without burning my fingers.

Tempeh-Kraut Salad

This makes a nice bowlful. Enough for about 4 giant kimbap rolls, or 3-4 good knoshes.
You can have the salad just about ready to eat in 15 minutes, if you chop the apple and herbs and prepare the dressing, while the tempeh is taking a steam.

What You Need:
  • 8 oz tempeh, steamed and cubed (about 1/2" pieces)
  • 1 crunchy, tart apple (Granny Smith or Pink Lady), diced (about 1/2" pieces)
  • 1/3 cup kraut, drained and squeezed 
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
  • 2 green onions minced (about 1/3 cup-whites and greens)
  • 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
  • zest from 1/2 a big lemon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon onion granules
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon Sriracha
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
What You Do:
  1. In a large bowl, combine the cubed tempeh and apple, kraut, and herbs.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients to make a dressing. Whisk until smooth.
  3. Stir the dressing into the tempeh and toss to combine well. Season to taste with more salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.

Oh hey! If you want to subscribe to my blog, I finally added a little widget to the top left. Just add your email, and you'll get a message whenever I update. I'm late to the potluck, as usual.



  1. Sounds lovely. Both of those main ingredients are delicious and so good for you. I eat tempeh plain a lot, that's how much I love it!

  2. [ Smiles ] Thank you for sharing this very healthy and delicious vegan recipe!

    1. My pleasure Renard! I hope you give it a try.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.