Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dottie's Goldmine: Rice n Bean Salad


So tasty for potlucks! Plus if you bring this, you'll know there'll at least be one yummy thing to eat.
I made this with fancy brown rice.
I've been going through pakupaku.info, trying to convert the recipes to a more friendly and easier to use blog format. 

Which reminded me of this salad--one of my favorite things to eat ever. I don't make it a lot, 'cuz it's sorta calorie dense, and I love it so much I sorta eat it mindlessly with my eyes rolled back into my head, but today I got the bright idea to make it with my beloved Seven Sources oil, so it's super EPA-EFA-DHA rich.
Dottie's Goldmine Salad 
adapted from pakupaku
makes about 7 cups

What You Need:
3 cups cooked brown rice, warm
1 can white beans, 15oz
1 can red kidney beans, 15 oz
2-3 green onions, minced (white and green)
1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
1/2 red pepper, diced (optional)

2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons Seven Sources or Udos Oil
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
2 tablespoons brown or coconut sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
pickled jalapeno--to taste (I used 1)
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

What You Do:
1. In a large bowl, combine the warm rice, beans, green onions, cilantro, and optional red pepper.
2. In a blender, whiz together the remaining ingredients to make a dressing.
3. Dress the rice (you might only want to use 3/4 of the dressing) and EAT!

P.S. I LOVE this salad with hominy in it, but I had none in the ol' pantry.

xo
kittee

13 comments:

  1. Hearty grain & bean salads are the best! And this dressing around super vibrant and amazing. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love grain and bean salads the most!
      xo kittee

      Delete
  2. Ooh that sounds good! I think Darrol Henry would eat this up in his lunches, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calorie dense with delicious yumminess. I love that site. People need to check it out to see lots of great (and GLUTENY) recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy comfort food at its finest - this looks great! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [ Smiles ] As a vegan, I eat lots of rice and beans; so this is most appropriate for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that you have a specific tag for 'musical fruit' :) By the way, Kittee, thank you for posting a link to my blog in your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh!! I wish google would let me know when I get comments here!! You're welcome and of course!! xo kittee

      Delete
  7. You fed this to me one of the first times I came to your house. I still think about it, but always forget to make it. It was so super yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.