Friday, November 21, 2014

Smoked Gouda and Worcestershire. What.

Smoked Coconut Gouda!
Worry not, this pretty photo is being used with permission from Somer at Vedged Out.
My lovely friend Somer from Vedged Out, recently updated her Smoked Coconut Gouda recipe, and it's making an internet splash! I even heard that some prefer it over the new Field Roast Chao cheese (which is the freeky-yum btw), quite a statement.

Anyway, it's on my weekend to-make list, but first I need to whip up some Worcestershire sauce, since you need a little dab of it to make the cheese. I'm not a fan of store bought vegan Worcestershire, so I made up my own recipe back in the days when I was veganizing New Orleans. I'm sharing it below, 'cuz it's way cheaper than the store stuff and better tasting ta boot.

Go check out Somer's recipe! Then saunter back here and whip up your own WS!

Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
This makes a big jarful (about 2 cups), and can be used wherever you need a splash of WS including in my favorite of favorites El Bloody Mary.

What You Need:
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup tamari
  • 3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
  • 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
  • 2 tablespoons unbleached granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 quarter sized slice of ginger, 1/4" thick
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 6 whole peppercorns
  • 2 shakes of hot sauce

What You Do:
  1. Combine everything in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. Strain, pour into a clean dry glass jar and store in the fridge tightly covered.


  1. I can't stand the awesomeness. Now I just need your Bloody Mary recipe and ideas on how to virginize it, but none of that sounds quite right...

    1. Bloody Marys are all about the pickles anyway!

  2. Homemade vegan worcestershire? You're a wizard!

    1. Hmm. I've never considered myself a wizard before. I suspect I might need a new wardrobe.

  3. Kittee, this is what I've been waiting for!

  4. Somer sent me here! This looks so delicious. What is tamarind? I have all of the other ingredients basically. Oh, and can I use Braggs liquid aminos in place of the tamari? Thanks!

    1. Hello!
      I've never made this with Braggs, but you could try and see. Not sure the flavor is quite what you want for Worcestershire though. Tamarind is so good! It's the pod of a tree, and it's used in a lot of Mexican and Indian food. You can buy an inexpensive jar of concentrate in Indian markets, or NFS. Do a google image for it, you'll see lots of brands.

  5. You are my HERO princess!!!! I don't think I've ever seen a homemade recipe for this.

  6. Thanks for the heads up about the smoked gouda recipe, it looks great!

  7. This is awesome and will come in so handy! I've been told that store-bought vegan Worcestershire sauce exists, but I've never seen it.

    1. It sorta lasts forever in the fridge. I found some today I made prolly over a year ago, and it looks AOK, but I'm gonna make a fresh batch just to be on the safe side.


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.