Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Salad Samurai-ing. Review and Gift Away.

Avocado Amaranth Bhel Puri Chaat: ripe mango and avocado with chickpeas, popped amaranth, crunchy Bhuja, in a tangy, spicy tamarind dressing with cilantro = one of my favorite mouth experiences ever. 
Greetings and long time no bloggy-bloggy. I'm here with a pop-in review of Terry Hope Romero's latest cookbook Salad Samurai, which I've had the pleasure of playing around with for the last month or so. 
As expected, this book is chock full of salad recipes (including salads that look like salads and sturdier salads that make heartier meals), and delightfully, it's also brimming with creative dressings, salad accouterments, and sweet and savory breakfast ideas in the form of smoothie bowls and savory grain salads.

I've tried a bunch of things so far (dont'cha love a cookbook that's released to match the seasons), but here are the recipes I keep coming back to:
My take on salad perfection: garden greens, roasted beets, radish, supremed orange, chunks of cold polenta, with a drizzle of Creamy Curry Dressing and Cheezy Buckcrunch.
Cheezy Buckcrunch--sprouted buckwheat groats coated in a cheezy, tangy cashew sauce and dehydrated until crunchy. While a bit time intensive (soaking and sprouting is required) these make a great savory snack as is, and also make a great salad topper. I plan to make them over and over again. The cashew sauce would also be great in bowls or with pasta.

Avocado Amaranth Bhel Puri Chaat--Indian chaat is one of my favorite food groups, and if you've never had it before, this recipe is a great initiation. Plus POPPED AMARANTH.

This POTM was topped with Creamy Curry Dressing and avocado. Best sewing contemplation brain food there is.
Creamy Curry Dressing--I've already made this cashew based dressing about 5-6 times. Besides tempeh salad, for which it's designed, I've found it's also great for salad roll dipping, on leafy salads (with polenta and orange segments), and drizzled on top of my beloved pudla.

Overnight Oats with Mexican Chocolate Creme and 13 year old foot.
Overnight Oats with Mexican Chocolate Creme--This breakfast treat is so rich and decadent, my teenager nephew couldn't figure out why I told him it was healthy. Add a sliced frozen banana and a spoonful of peanut butter to the basic oat recipe and you've got a great everyday grab n go brekkie.

Guts 'n' Glory Granola--The flavor combo is really great, plus POPPED AMARANTH!

Blueberry Smoothie Granola Bowl with  Guts 'n' Glory Granola, golden raspberries, and coconut.
Smoothie Granola Bowl--If you need an excuse to eat a sundae-like bowl of frozen yum for breakfast. Here ya go.

A few of my favorite things about Salad Samurai:
❤ While I love reading cookbooks, I'm not much of a recipe follower. I love how easily these recipes can be adapted my way. Books that fail this test, rarely see a lick of sun in our house.

 ❤  Two recipes contain POPPED AMARANTH. Tip: get your pan really hot and pop the amaranth in small mini batches about a tablespoon at a time.

❤ The creativity in these recipes is apparent. I would never have thought to add whole chia seed to a salad dressing, but now I want to add it to every salad dressing ever made.

❤ Most of the recipes are gluten-free, or can be made so with easy adaptions.

My critiques:
★ I find the dark sidebars a bit cumbersome to read while in the thick of recipe following, and lemon juice takes the dark ink right off the page. Danger-danger my messy cooking brethren!

  • Title:  Salad Samurai
  • Author:   Terry Hope Romero
  • Blog/Website:  Vegan Latina
  • Publisher:  Da Capo Press
  • Photos: Gorgeous color photos by Vanessa K. Rees
  • XGFXnessThe majority of the recipes are xgfx, or can be made so with simple adaptions.
I wanna try something new, and am hosting the Salad Samurai gift away on my Instagram account (where I'm much more active). Come visit me over there for a chance to win, and to say helloooooooooOOOo.


Disclaimer:  I received a free review copy of Salad Samurai  from Da Capo Press, along with a free copy to gift away to a reader.  No compensation or gift was exchanged for this review, and the opinions posted here are my own.


  1. kittee, can you put a comment up on instagram for me? i still am not a member! xoxo michelle

  2. I'm loving this book too!! I haven't made anything yet (just got it last week), but I've purchased everything for the bento box nicoise because AVOCADO WITH BLACK SALT! And that bhel puri salad is on my short list!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.