Friday, August 15, 2014

Raw Fig Bars at Hand.


Forever on duty.
So the story goes that I follow someone on Instagram, who follows someone else on Instagram, who has a blog, who made some raw fig bars. I've never been a huge Newton fan, but for some reason this recipe mesmerized me, and I wanted to give it a go.

I think it was the simple ingredients that pulled me in.
I'm always a little wary of Internet recipes that seem too easy for their own good. I tried to loosen my wary pants while I worked on these. Also, common knowledge: I can't leave a recipe alone, and if a recipe is appealing in its simplicity, of course I'm gonna get in there and complicate things a bit.

I left the recipe alone as much as I could, but I added a teaspoon or so of orange blossom water to the figs. And it needed lots more than a teaspoon of fresh orange juice to get whirling around in my mini chopper, and I also added a mini pinch of salt. I also found the filling made too small of an amount to whirl in a blender or food processor, so consider yourself warned.

Once I added enough dates, the dough came together quickly into a nice ball in the food processor. Of course, I also added salt to this, and next time I'd leave out the agave, since it was plenty sweet and moist from the dates.

I rolled out the dough in one go without halving it first, and found it not too hard to get nice and thin using two pieces of parchment. Once I spread the fig filling, I folded the dough in half and cut the pastries into squares. I found them way too soft and sweet to eat right away, but after a night in the dehydrator, I was happy to find them very fig newton-y in texture, and yummy. If you don't have a dehydrator, the original recipe offers a baking version.

This made a small plateful of squares, I'd guess around 16.

xo
kittee

12 comments:

  1. So pretty perfect. I used to love fig newtons too. these days all raw treats take the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that most raw treats are naturally gluten free!

      Delete
  2. I'm always up for a good raw vegan treat. We all know the Bliss Balls and so on. But these are really new to me!

    Absolutely love the idea and will make them too.

    Thanks so much!

    xo Elisa


    www.leboer.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any suggestions on how one might adapt apricots for the filling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!!!
      I think these would work great with apricots, and I'd do 'em exactly the same way. Don't add too much OJ or they might get too sweet. Let me know if you need more guidance.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. Oh Kittee, I still heart your blog so much even after all these years. I've been dying to try to DIY kombucha....maybe I'll give it a go when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a like to the recipe? I really wanna make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a link in the post
      http://www.oh-holy-basil.com/2014/08/simplest-ever-raw-fig-rolls.html

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.