Thursday, January 16, 2014

Dalo's Kitchen Food Truck




Beyayenetu: vegan platter includes kay miser, alicha kik, gomen, atkilt with gluten-free injera.
(spicy red lentils, mild split peas, greens, and mixed vegetables)
Dazee and I popped over to the Dalo's Kitchen cart today for lunch. What else would I want to eat for lunch right now? Once I heard they have gluten-free injera at the truck, I really couldn't resist. I think it's the weather.

Aw! It comes wrapped like a wee injera present.
They make the injera, and it's the softest, fluffiest, gluten-free stuff I have ever seen. I have no idea what sort of grain these are made from, but I'm not even sure they have teff in them at all. Deluxe texture, but not much flavor and no tang to speak of.

Lots of food for $5. We split this, and it was enough to fill two of us. 
I found the Dalo's food truck a great deal for cheap, quick, xgfx eats, but super underwhelming. The food was hot and tasted fresh, but I found it really boring and very under seasoned (even with extra salt) and uninspired.

The menu said we were supposed to get split peas (alicha kik), but I swear we got served red lentil alicha instead, which isn't a big deal, except again just sorta boring texture wise. I'll probably give them another go in a few months, but for now I'm sticking with Emame's for all my on the go Ethiopian needs.

Dalo's Kitchen Food Truck
Central Eastside Food Carts
510 SE MLK Boulevard, PDX

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm happy to see a Kittee post! I'm so surprised that you're still venturing out for Ethiopian food while you're in the middle of cookbook chaos, but I'm glad that it hasn't ruined it for you! It's too bad that the food cart was underwhelming. Good thing you have other tasty Ethiopian options in your area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm sort of crazy, but I can't help myself. My mani is due in two weeks, and then I'll be back in the saddle. <3

      Delete
  2. What did you expect after cooking and eating all the deluxe Kittee-designed Ethiopian food. Bland is not gonna hold up — especially bland injera. I love the extra tang the injera adds to the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm open minded, and i actually LOOOOOOVE food more when I haven't made it.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. You don't think the yellow stuff is split peas? Or is that not the kik allecha? I thought the red was mesir. Still like the wrapping though. Since your recipes are perfection, I've been stalking other people's presentation; this one's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abski, purty purty sure they were missers not kiks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so delicious, I love injera and I really need to sort it out and make some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the awesome information about the Dalo's Kitchen Food Truck.You really did agreat job by posting it.Thanks

    http://www.txcartbuilder.com/

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.