Thursday, May 30, 2013

Zined: Orange Blossom Granola

All of these dudes have better posture than me, it's pretty obvs they have a daily yoga practice.
But they can't beat my rad mani.
Amey put together a little cookbooklette for VVC2013 that is coo-coo bananas adorable. It's got recipes in it from lots of great blogs including a few of my favorites:  Vegan Culinary Crusade, Sews Before Bros and Vegtastic Voyage.

The cutest fabric ever, designed by Suzy Ultman.  Also, frozen blueberries rule in cereal.
I contributed an orange blossom water granola recipe, because orange blossom water is under-used, under-rated, misunderstood and tasty-licious. Also, because Amey is wonderful, the zines were only $1 to cover her printing costs. She even managed to make money from her efforts to contribute to Burrito and his gang over at Chimp Sanctuary NW.

Look!  It's me and Vee in cartoon form!  Amey handwrites all of her zines in pencil and then goes over them meticulously in pen.  So much attention to detail!  I find it wowzers.
Amey has about thirty zines left for the grabs!  Rush over to the thread she created on the PPK to get yours.  They are going fast!

Orange Blossom Granola
Makes about 1/2 gallon (8 cups)
What You Need:
  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup buckwheat groats, untoasted
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped filberts)
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (large flakes)
  • 1/4 cup flax meal (optional)
  • 1/4 cup unbleached granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup orange blossom water
  • 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
  • 1/4 cup canola/melted coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • pinch o' salt
  • 1 cup dried fruit apple sliced thinly on a mandoline and dehydrated for an hour or two)    
What You Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 315F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, buckwheat, cinnamon, nuts, coconut and optional flax meal.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, vanilla, orange blossom water, molasses, oil, maple syrup and the tiniest pinch of salt.
  4. Pour the liquid mixture over the cereal mixture and stir very well to combine.  It might take a few minutes to get everything coated, but there should be enough liquid to cover everything.  If yours seems too dry, add a little more maple syrup.
  5. Line a lipped baking sheet with parchment and spread the granola over the tray as evenly as possible.
  6. Bake until the coconut and nuts are golden brown, stirring every 5-10 minutes (about 35-45 minutes total).  The granola browns fastest along the edges of the pan, so keep a close eye on those areas as you stir.
  7. Allow to cool, mix in the dehydrated fruit and eat.  Store in a tightly covered container.
Hope you make it and like it!


  1. yum yum yum! That granola looks so good! x


  2. Amey did such an amazing job on these zines! I was tickled beyond belief to see myself in doodle form. It's a doodle dream come true! I've never heard of orange blossom water before, but it sounds delicious. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it! (You know, like an orange...)

    1. You can find orange blossom water in Middle Eastern groceries and in some Indian markets with rose water.


    2. Oh Cadry, you MUST check out Orange Blossom Water - it's really magical! I use in a lot in my Persian recipes!

  3. Looks good! Is maple syrup missing from the ingredient list?

    1. thanks for noticing!! i fixed it and added both the maple syrup and salt. blogger hates formatting and ate 'em!

  4. yay for zines! you should be in all of 'em (all the good ones). Oh man... orange blossom granola is also genius and I want to make that like crazy. (soon as I get an oven, totally will).

  5. Hi Kittee! Amey's zine is the cutest, so glad I picked up a copy at VVC. Also, if the xgfx people get together, I'd love to be there :))

  6. Squeee! I just ordered a few copies (one for me, some for gifts). You and Vee look pretty dang cute in cartoon form. Hope you're healing well my dear. xx

  7. You're so right about orange blossom water being underrated! I <3 this zine and I can't wait to make some stuff from it.

  8. I'm giving away the cookbooklette! Thanks for signing! I can't wait to try the recipe. Orange blossom water is on my list!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.