Friday, May 10, 2013

I Went to a Potluck, and All I Got Was this Sugar-Buzz.


This picture presents a lot of what is right in this world.  A fat tub of buttercream, peanut butter chocolate chip rice crispy wheels, sticky Chick-O-Stick marshmallow rice crispy wheels, onigiri molds, high-voltage kombucha, Chick-O-Sticks,  an iphone (best new toy ever), a ginormous offset spatula and my best friend (who has awesome frosting skills).  
I really am going to a potluck tomorrow, or at least a birthday beach party--which is pretty much the same thing in my book.  I generally don't go to b-day parties without bringin' something, 'cuz what's the fun in that?

Seriously, allow the size of this offset spatula to set in.  It was sunny while we worked, and it cast bright reflections all over the kitchen.  They nearly blinded us and made Tilda, the Boston Terrier coo-coo. Serious kitchen tool, do not mess with giant metal spatulas.
The birthday girl is Kim's sister, so today we joined our creative forces together and produced the birthday cake. (You better not be reading this Karla!) Or, the birthday candy cake, or the birthday wheel of fortune, or whatever you want to call this beautiful orb we crafted held together by nothing but our steel reserve and mounds of fluffy Chick-O-Stick buttercream.

 

This top view does not do the cake justice, since the blonde colored rice crispy stars get lost into the mounds of buttercream.  Just look hard and the magick will reveal itself to you.

We alternated two layers:  marshmallow Chick-O-Stick rice crispy wheels, Chick-O-Stick buttercream, peanut butter chocolate chip rice crispy wheels, more buttercream and repeat.  We formed candle-holding stars using Kim's onigiri molds, which was a stroke of pure Kim brain brilliance.
Making bake-less cakes on warm days is a lovely adventure, plus rice crispy cakes are helpful when you're not up for baking something xgfx, which can be tricky.  For the marshmallow layers, we used  a standard rice crispy recipe subbing in Earth Balance and Dandies, then adding crushed Chick-O-Sticks to the mix.  The peanut butter layers were from Pakupaku--we added in some chocolate chips.  We used our friend Julie's vanilla buttercream recipe and mixed in lots, lots and lots of crushed Chick-O-Sticks.

In case you don't know, Chick-O-Sticks make the world go round, and damn, that is one short dress.
This blog post is part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck and is connected to over 150 participating blogs.  Click on the forward and back links below to scroll through all the potluck goodies, including more desserts, appetizers, beverages, salad, bread, soup, main dishes and sides, or click here to see a giant list of all the participants.

Good thing this party is virtual, 'cuz soup at potlucks gets tricky. I never remember to bring a bowl.

             
xo
kittee

31 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have found your blog in the VVP day! I am also happy that my blog follows your lovely blog over here!

    What a tasty sounding & looking recipe! A must try! Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad to find your blog too!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. MAN that err "cake" looks good Kittee! I am SO gonna give myself a sugar coma in it's honour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! Super fun to make, a little hard to cut, but worth it!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. Oh my lord you have out done yourself Kittee! AMAZING! I may need to lay down after this post, I can taste the icing sugar from here! :) Happy potluck and big hugs X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY Craaaa.... This is amazing, and hey kayliegh I hear what you say, I think I need a lie down now. Should I make this for my birthday thingey??

      Delete
    2. Yes Alex we need this cake in our lives stat! :)

      Delete
    3. An electric knife would help cut through this, but most vegans don't have one. But it's possible, and worth it!

      Delete
  4. That cake is so much fun! What a lucky birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the idea of making a rice krispie cake! Kudoes, Kittee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap this looks amazing! I forgot that chick-o-sticks exist. I need some of this cake in my mouth right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy moly, that cake is a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good GAWD! The first photo says it all. Hehe - oh my gosh - thank you for participating in the Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog, style and photos are amazing! I love the quirky flair to everything and the cake looks so freaking good. Happy VVP~

    - alexis
    http://www.sugarcoatedvegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible!!! I'm sure the Birthday Girl was in awe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. KITTEE, YOU WIN, again. and again! This cake is S00ooOO magickal! You make me laugh every time I read you and influence me to nurture my kid-at-heart esp. in zee kitchen and at the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, you warmed my heart. I never know if anyone out there is laughing or even reading, so this is great to hear. Have fun always!!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  12. Oh, my Kittee! That cake looks absolutely stunning and sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one outrageously awesome cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm seriously going to be making this one for my daughter's birthday party. I am so in love with this cake! Though I may need to order chick-o-sticks online. I haven't seen them in stores since I was a little girl! Love you Kittee! So glad you were a part of the potluck! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. agree with everyone.. its like a magical treat! now i know what to feed the ever growing bunch of toddlers around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn Kittee that is one brilliant cake, it's filled with so much win! I soooooo wish we could get chick-o-sticks in Canada but I can definitely make due with that peanut butter rice crispies recipe. +1 yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything about your VVP post is fantastic. The cake is super cool looking and looks delicious. Your blog is wonderful and makes me smile. Thank you for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is one impressive and creative cake! I've never seen rice krispies so fancy-- you took them to a whole new level. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow what a great cake idea, I've never seen anything like it before!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.