Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I Broke My Swagger and Other News.


Swagging is for Lovers.
Oh my goodness!  I guess Vida Vegan Con really is over.  Linens and dishes are washing, swags have been crammed into large flat rate boxes to be shipped off to their rightful owners and Instagram has started to slow the eff down.  This is the first minute I've been alone for a week, and it feels a bit weird and overwhelming, but it also feels so ahhhhh.

I ALSO NEED THE BIGGEST NAP.

Halloween rituals came rushing back with this stuff, and no, I will not trade my kombucha starter kit for your black licorice.
Way too much vegan happened over the last week to give it proper due, but I'm happy to offer some highlights:

★Beta blockers rule!  My VVC contribution included three different presentations.  I was lucky enough to prsent with my dear friends Amey, Mo and Joanna, so of course that made things breezier too.  Our official topics were MoFo Workshop, The Making of a Zine:  From Conception to Distribution and Vegan Battle Royale.  We had fun.

★I also had the opportunity to attend a few sessions:
Can I get a whew? These all gave me plenty to think about, but I honestly wish the Body Image Acceptance panel could have gone on for an entire week.  Also, the social media talk made me feel ancient, kids talk so fast these days!  Editorial calendar?  Hoot shoot?  URL tags?  It's a whole new world.

The Teese nacho cheese is good, but so weird it's shelf stable.  I am most stoked about that cuppow.  CUPPOW!!
★I made some new friends too!  Special shout outs to Heart Shaped SkyThe Food Duo, jessee.anne.o, The Little Foxes and my friend Erika's new crafty safe space Sews Before Bros.

★I had my fourth melanoma sliced out the day before the conference.  If you want to see my insanely awesome two inch suture line, send me an email.  I spent all weekend showing it off to the willing.  It still hurts, but oh hell, it feels better than it did on Friday.

★I got swagged.  I'm littering this post with the glory.  So much stuff.  I devoured the toffee from Allison's Gourmet quickly and efficiently.  I am a pro.

At least Erika's not going for the white chocolate Mandee brought me from Australia.  I could lose that Larabar without too many tears.
★I'm posting like a ho-ho on Instagram.  Come check out my pictures.

★I also noticed last night that Sarah from My New Roots made her own rice paper wrapped samosas.  That's pretty exciting!  Hello to any new readers who found me via her link.  Hello, hello!

Vee is glad to have me back.  He doesn't care about vegan swagz, except for the kale chips.
The White Owl Social Club > deep fried xgfx pickles > beet juice Bloody Marys.

★Lots of discussions have taken place over the lyrics to 2 Chainz Yuck lyrics.  Camel toe casseroles anyone?

Amey is a fine zinester.  I'll tell you about it one day.

xo
kittee

43 comments:

  1. White Chocolate! Mandee rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my eye on the white choc as well...... wish I could of attended and went to all those awesome tings/ stuffed myself full of all the awesome it had to offer..... sigh at my jobless exsistance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! Follow their blog. There were lots of contests and stuff for free tickets.

      Delete
    2. I saw one leading up to the event but don't have a passport or any monz, I will just have to save up and get a passport and cross my fingers and toes for next yeah!

      Delete
  3. Killing me you are, with all this swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, there was more swag than this. Some I ate, some I can't find and some I left behind. I forgot to get the swag we've been collecting from Vegan Battle Royale!! I was so looking forward to the xgfx gummies going into some new candy sushi. Boo. We gave away Bakon!! You would have been proud, John.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. so much food! i see hemp hearts - i love those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got some of that Australian brand of chocolate from a redditgifts exchange 2 halloweens ago. I keep hoping I'll find some in the states one day, it was sooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try to make some. I'm gonna order some cocoa butter with the homemade soy butter order I make soon.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  6. You laid your swag out so nice and neat — mine's in a heap, but the dog stole only one thing — the Wayfare bacon bits — which she spread on the rug. I would have been really upset if she got the kale chips, but I already ate the those. And the Hail Merry macaroons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ate my Hail Merrys based on your rec. MmmM!

      Delete
  7. I love it all! Especially your shoes! What brand are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are old and beat up Mary Janes made by Demonia. I spray painted them, they were originally black patent "leather" with white trim.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  8. Jeebus. This post really is gorgeous. 1) you sum up the VVC experience in a neat, clean, totally delightful package. 2) Your artfully presented swag makes the rest of us look like slobs (and no one can compete with that angelic dog, ESPECIALLY with that little faux hawk and shaggy butt). 3) you did so much work at VVC, introducin' folk and makin' people feel welcomed. You're basically e'rrything I thought you'd be and then some. And no one else can rock a mean scar and an under-the-sea dress and make it all look right like you can. Thanks for the shout out and for your cool friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure this is the nicest comment I've received in the 6 years I've kept this blog. I'm so glad you felt welcomed at the conference. I love seeing my friends at VVC, but I don't love how the attendees naturally splinter off into different groups. I know it's bound to happen, but I wish it wasn't so much so, and if I helped to make the event more inclusive to you or anyone else, I am happy. Yea.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. You are the Best, Kittee. XO And that Ashley Piper is so rad too. XO

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. He just keeps getting cuter and cuter. Soon he is only gonna be 2% dog and 98% MmmmHmm.

      <3

      Delete
  10. Hiya Kittee! OMG, VVC2013 totally broke my swagger, I arrived home with the worst head cold!!! I'm sorry about your cancer and surgery, we totally should have taken a picture with you, me, and Jared as the Vida Vegan cancer survivors. It was awesome seeing you, now I will go take a nap as well. Hugs, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! You'd have to be a strong strong person to come home from VVC2013 with an intact swagger.

      I'm not sure who Jared is, but best wishes for us all! I just need to stop making these...

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  11. There was soooo much swag!!! My friend who I stayed with had to ship some stuff back to me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, it was just plain LOVELY seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but we are sorta zero for zero on the whole hanging out thing. This time I blame my poor arm, but next time there will be no excuses.

      Delete
  13. Peppy and I miss you already! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That swag bag was ridiculously crazy good! They confiscated my peanut butter at the Seattle airport though :(. They let me carry on the Kombucha starter kit though which I didn't even know had liquid in it *shrugs*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if your chocolate peanut butter shows up on the TSA blog? They have one with all the loot highlights from each week. Those jerks.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  15. I saw that familiar white chocolate on Instagram and wondered where it came from! I'm going to do my darndest to be there next year and I will shower you with treats from our side of the planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I wonder where it'll be? I also swooned over you at the MoFo workshop!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  16. Kittee...I watched the video of you via My New Roots to help with my VVC withdrawal. It was so good to see your sweet face. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy tofu! Miss you, Kittee. Hope to see you next time. Love Amey's zinette, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. new carpet! i looooove it <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. aw crap, that was erica here in portland with the red hair and the killer skillz... in... things... ;)

    mainly it was just erica in portland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We mailed our PB and other items home from the post office in addition to cramming a bunch in our suitcases! There were a few items we knew we weren't going to use but realized it *after* the con was done so we brought it to the Transitional Projects as a donation. Maybe there are some vegans there.

    It was so nice to meet you in person! Yay! Also I mailed your envelope from a hotel in Maine so hopefully you'll get it soon.

    I am juuuust getting around to a blog post about VVC now. (Too much travel.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found you through Sarah which is awesome! Hello hello!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kittee how has it taken me this long to catch up on VVC blogs?! I love this, such pretty colourful pictures and reading it brought back loads of happy happy memories. I miss you & VVC & Portland already!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.