Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Homemade Brown Sugar is Nature's Kitchen Rumba.


Baking has been frequent recently.  With so many April birthdays (mine included), bake-sales and a package of sweets off to help fatten up a mending friend, it's been messy up in my kitchen.

I've also been making a lot of Mocha Almond Joy Brownies.  I'm gonna play the mean-card and show you yummy pictures without a recipe (it'll come shortly).

Pretty yummy looking, huh?
Mocha brownies, sweet mushy coconut, almonds, chocolate chips with a chocolate drizzle hug.
Besides torturing you with sticky brownie pictures devoid of recipes, I wanted to tell you about brown sugar and how I make my own.  These brownies contain it, but it's not an ingredient I usually keep in my pantry.  I don't use it enough, and then when I want it it's too hard, or too old.  Or something like that.

Really, the big-big reason I make my own is to control what sort of sugar is being used.  I'm not so much a stickler about what sort of sugar I eat when I'm out of the house, but for stuff I make, I only purchase organic unbleached sugar.  I also try to procure Fair Trade as much as possible.

Toe Weather.
Anyway, I'm sure you've heard that brown sugar is just granulated sugar with added molasses. It's true. The darker the brown sugar, the more molasses it contains.

My preference is 1 tablespoon of black strap molasses to 1 cup of granulated sugar, but this is loose.  Blend the two together with a fork, and in about 3 minutes you'll have the loveliest medium dark brown sugar you've ever done seen.  Not only is this brown sugar soft enough to rest your head on, but it tastes better than anything you could ever buy in a store.  It's also really fun to make and will whoa the kids.

xo
kittee

11 comments:

  1. Pillows of brown sugar and brownies baby....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would just eat it all with the spoon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday, i think i missed it! ~erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps - i blogged a food! kim chi http://sheseescolor.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/making-kim-chi/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool. I always just use my regular sugar which is brownish anyway, but make my own brown sugar is what I'll do next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice kitchen towels! Also, those brownies are sooooooo good! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice kitchen towels! Also, those brownies are sooooooo good! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those brownies were beyond good.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.