Wednesday, April 10, 2013

This is Still Happening.


Rice paper wraps brimming with dressed Spring greens, fresh cilantro, a home-grown sprout mixture, thin apple slices, baked lemony tofu and garlic potatoes.
Yes, while you've been busy with your X and Y, I've been continuously stuffing things into rice paper wrappers, and then stuffing those into my mouth.   These were a favorite, and the most awesome and enjoyable way to eat greens.  If I might say, which I'm obviously giving myself permission to do.  Seriously, these two rolls contained an ENTIRE Pyrex bowl crammed with greens, fresh cilantro and home-grown sprouts.  You'd just never know, because they get condensed super tightly in the wrap.

While I made these with leftovers, I would gladly whip all of these components together to get to eat these again, they were that satisfying.  And also, SO EASY, with lefties I made them in five minutes.  I'm not even complaining about the freakin' cold potatoes.  In case you were wondering, rice paper wraps are perfect for that Spring potluck social you've just been invited to.  I'd recommend you get on this horse (not really, 'cuz duh).  But yea.

I'm not quite decided on this whole orange and purple combo.
For the potatoes, I modified the "recipe" over here.  I just tossed a few thin skinned potato wedges in EVOO, smoked salt, lots of minced fresh garlic, a bit of nutritional yeast and some ground coriander.  Then tossed them in potato starch and placed them on a lightly oiled baking sheet.  They took about 40 minutes to brown at 425F.

The tofu, I  made on the fly.  I mixed lemon juice and zest, wheat-free tamari, a squirt of cock sauce and a wee bit of water then layered in the pressed tofu slices.  I like to bake tofu in a little bit of liquid.  I think it's more flavorful to do so, but it does take extra time.  I also baked the tofu at 425F, but I'd say it took an hour to cook out the liquid, and then brown and firm up.

The greens were tossed in my favorite Caeser dressing of the moment from The Bold Vegetarian Chef, which I modified with a sub of raw cashews for the almonds, and an omission of the nori.  The Internet, god bless her, has gifted you with the recipe.

And then sliced apples, fresh cilantro and sprouts, which you know how to do.  I did put the apple on my mandoline, so mine were really, really thin.  No fingers were injured in the making of these wraps, either.  In case you were interested.

xo
kittee

19 comments:

  1. I'm thinking these with sweet potatoes would be a dream for lunch tomorrow. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy! Sweet potatoes just don't get crunchy, even with the potato flour treatment.

      Delete
  2. Starch city! I like! The double stuff work is also noted and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not much starch! just enough. the potatoes were limited and the wrapper itself is nominal.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. YUMMO! Seriously...are there any letters bigger than Capitals? This recipe deserves them Kittee! I haven't had spuds since January when I went cold turkey on Somers eye opening green smoothie challenge. Addicted to smoothies now and soup but terrified of reintroducing the terrible spud to my diet. I was living on carbs and don't want to return any day soon. Eating spuds like this would probably be ok because there is a whole lot more in those babies than the humble spud. Love the recipe and when I get out from under the bed from my tato fear, I am SO going to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh good! i really put almost no potatoes in these, i'd say maybe 1/3 of a medium potato, tops. the potato part is sorta addictive tho...just sayin'. you could do like erika and put in sweet potatoes instead, they're just missing the crunch (even with the potato starch).

      enjoy!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. Now, if you keep sending things like this out into the world, when am I ever going to find time to read Papa Tofu? Because I see a whole lotta rice paper wraps happening this weekend. Especially with a little in the house, whose hands are perfect for helping me shape these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! They would be fun to make with the littles, and not hot stove...

      Delete
  5. Just finished eating lunch and now I'm hungry again--loving all the greens smooshed in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so snuggly together in those wrappers. Snuggle wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome! I think I have some rice paper wraps in the pantry...time to whip those suckers out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get your site to load it's photos. Wah! However, everything does sound incredibly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love fresh tofu wraps. i cant get your images to load either:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richa!
      The server was down, but all is well now.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  10. Wow Kittee, thanks for another great idea (potato starch). We have lots of
    that lying around for baking projects. Cheers! -tabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! It makes potatoes super crunchy!

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.