Monday, March 18, 2013

Apple! Now with Chipotle.


Stamped with the HKB (happy kittee belly) seal of approval.
I whipped this salad up for lunch today.  It was my reward for digging in and getting some much needed work done.  I love tempeh and don't make it a lot  (Old Man Potatoes is not a fan), but when I do it usually goes into a salad sorta like this one.  Today I seasoned it with some chipotle en adobo I keep in a jar in the freezer, but other times I season it with Old Bay, or crab boil, or some other mixture containing heat.  I love spicy mayo based dressings mixed with a protein and vegetables.

Apple and smoked jalapeño sitting in a tree.  Or on a plate with organic corn tortillas and yuppy baby greens.  Whichever.
As I was getting ready to plate this, I decided to throw in some apple for texture and bite, and I'm so glad I did. This is my hands down favorite new flavor combination.  There may or may not be chipotle apple hand pies in my future.
Chipotle Tempeh Salad
Makes about 4 servings 
What You Need:
  • 12 oz. tempeh, steamed, well drained and chopped into 1/2" cubes
  • 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped parsley (or cilantro), packed
  • 1 small carrot, shaved on a mandoline or coarsely grated
  • 2 green onions, minced 
  • 1/3 cup Vegenaise
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 teaspoons chipotle en adobo (check brands, many contain wheat!)
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • zest from an organic lemon
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • apple, cored and thinly sliced
  • tortillas

What You Do:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the tempeh, vegetables and herbs and toss lightly to mix.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the Vegenaise, salt, chipotle, ACV, and zest to make a dressing.*
  3. Toss the tempeh mixture with the dressing mixture and season to taste with black pepper, adobo and salt.
Eat as is, or serve on tortillas with greens and thinly sliced apple.
*The dressing is salty as is (to season the bland tempeh), so reduce by half if you plan to use it without the protein.

xo
kittee

P.S.  These are faboo rolled into large rice paper wrappers with thinly sliced apple tucked inside.  Eating this now and reporting back with the word.

10 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic!! I love the idea of the sweetness and tartness of the apple with the warm, savory chipotle. Mmm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I do love Vegenaise based salads like this! So summer and southern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tempeh salad from pakupaku. We take it camping with us whenever we go. I love chipotle so so much and I've got all the ingredients on hand. But my greens are not yuppies. Not as blue collar as iceberg. More like public school teacher non-organic red leaf lettuce. I will report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ate this for lunch. I did lemon pepper instead of zest because I couldn't be arsed to zest one. And my red leaf lettuce with thinly sliced apple. You're right! It was a great combo. I think the soy-iness of the tempeh really shines in a yummy way in this for some reason. I want to eat the rest of the bowl, but I'm resisting!

      Delete
    2. I wish I had some right now!! Glad you liked it.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. Ooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhh. Tempeh, apple and chipotle en adobo sounds so good. Now that I learned to freeze the extra chipotle in individual little blobs, I always have a supply at the ready. I have to say, it's a lot easier to chop it up when it's frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom always puts apples in salads, so this reminds me so much of home! Gorgeous Kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic in taco form!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fabulous combination. I don't use apples enough in savory stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.