Wednesday, October 3, 2012

XGFX Brownies Even Mom Wants.


Golden Anniversaries > Golden Showers, or are they?
I'm sprouting wings and flying into DC tomorrow to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  Here's some cool Berns-Kerns family trivia you might not know.  Me and Dazee's parents were both married on the same day in the same year!  Pretty crazy, huh? 

My mom, who is not vegan but does try to limit her gluten consumption, asked me to bring along my brownie ingredients ,'cuz she loved them when she sampled them on a previous visit.  She went out of her way to make sure I was not going to leave behind the Dandies.  So now I'm pretty sure my mom thinks I'm a MARSHMALLOW SKIMPER!  Dang, Mom.

But score! 'Cuz vegan marshies make good neck pillows on long flights.

I'm sharing my go-to brownie recipe, which works great for both potlucks and bakesales, because they seem to impress the gluten eaters and everybody in-between.

I've never posted the recipe here before, but I'm borrowing it from an old post of mine on XGFX.  Steal from one give to the other and all that, and while I'm riffin' on the subject of Peter Pan-- I've noticed hubbub lately around the etiquette of online recipe sharing and re-printing.  While I'm no Joan Jett on the matter, Food Blog Alliance has some smart information about recipe attribution, you might like to read.

Now onto the yummies.
Skimped on the left, just like Mom wants on the right.
Rocky Road Brownies inspired by The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook.  I love these fudge-y, gooey brownies, and I also love the combination of chocolate and teff.  They need time to firm up in the fridge, so make them a day ahead for business trips and other important events.

Makes an 8X8 brownie pan full.
What You Need:
  • 1/3 cup teff flour
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ cup vegan margarine (you can sub half solid coconut oil)
  • 2/3 cup Fair Trade cocoa powder
  • 1 cup unbleached granulated sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar, unpacked
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons finely ground flax meal
  • 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/3 cups superfine brown rice flour
  • ¼ cup tapioca flour
  • ½ cup potato starch
  • ½ bag Dandies marshmallows
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
What You Do:
  1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the teff flour and water, then over medium heat, stir constantly until it turns into a thick, thick goo. Spoon into the bowl of your stand mixer and allow to sit while you work on step two (if you have guns, you can also do these by hand in a big bowl with a wooden spoon, but the stuff gets really thick).
  2. Wash out the saucepan, place it over medium-high heat and melt the vegan margarine. Quickly whisk in the cocoa powder to combine, then dump this mixture on top of the teff mixture, and allow it all to cool.
  3. Once the stuff has cooled, preheat your oven to 350F, and then beat the stuff until smooth.
  4. Next beat in the baking powder, sugars, salt, vanilla and flax-seed. Then beat in the brown rice flour and starches until smooth, thick and batter-like. Last, toss in the marshmallows and nuts, and stir by hand to incorporate.
  5. Scrape into a well greased square brownie pan (or line with parchment to get them out easier) and bake 35-40 minutes. When done the top will become crunchy and the brownies will have risen and become set, but still slightly soft in the center, without being jiggly.
  6. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Cut into squares and declare yourself a master of xgfx brownies.
xo
kittee

This blog, has joined with over 600 others, to celebrate Vegan MoFo - The Vegan Month of Food. Learn more about MoFo by visiting Vegan Mofo Headquarters.

39 comments:

  1. If you've tried it before, do you find that grinding Bob's Red Mill's brown rice flour is good enough to turn it into superfine flour? I have a ton of it in the freezer and I've forbidden myself to buy any new kind until I make a dent in my current stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd probably try these with sorghum flour before I'd try grinding regular brown rice flour! I think it would work just fine, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't promise.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. These look so fudgy and chocolatey!! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I found some teff flour so I'll be trying these for sure.

    And I know what you mean, I really don't like to see recipes from books reprinted word for word, maybe some people forget to mention when they've asked permission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Food Blog Alliance has some great info in general, too. Stuff about disclosure law and more.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this...it looks Dandy divine! And congratulations to your parents...have a great time celebrating their superfabulous milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 50th to your parents! These brownies look delicious! I am thinking your secret to that is the teff flour. I once made a marshmallow brownie and then I lost my recipe. So, this will certainly help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the secret is making the teff sludge, I don't know why it works, but yea!

      Delete
  5. Congrats to your parents! And those brownies look perfect, Kittee! I always wanted to try teff flour and a local health food store recently started carrying it. Now I've got a solid reason to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Teff, Mihl! I have a chapati recipe I also use it for. If you remind me, I'll try to mail you the recipe when I come back.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  6. Those look scrumptious! I've never made xgfx brownies, so I think I'll try this recipe over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like them! Report back please. I had to add a touch of water tonight to get them to brownie batter consistency. I must've over measured the flours last night, I was super tired.

      Delete
  7. This is my go-to brownie recipe, so glad you cross-posted it here! They are AWESOME straight outta the fridge. They also sold like hot cakes at a couple of fundraisers I've made them for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love, love, love these.

    also... Happy 50th to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this looks amazing.

    I've never made gf brownies, but I'm open and willing to nearly anything with chocolate in it. I've got this big bag of teff flour just waiting to be used. Awesome. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this post Kittee! You! Brownies! Xgfx! Dandies! Kittee Mom! 50 years! Wow!

    Say love and hello to your mom - and a huge congrats to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm, I think I've pinned everything you've made this mofo. Have fun in DC!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Kittee. Want. They are beautiful. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's so nice to be in my parents' home.

      Delete
  13. Ohmygosh, Kittee--these look INSANELY good!! Wow. I cannot wait to make them (in your parents' honor, of course) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woahhhhh those brownies look SO good! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Brownies are in the oven as we speak.

      Delete
  15. I don't normally keep brown rice flour in the house, but my coffee grinder makes a great oat flour...do you think that's a fine substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter, do you have the new farm? I bet you can find the regular recipe online, then just add Dandies and nuts!!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  16. Wow! Those look so perfect, I'll have to get stocked up on g/f flours so that I can try them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nom nom nom, these look just like what I'm looking for. Thanks Kittee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. For this post: thank you, thank you, thank you - a thousand times, Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look perfect, and like a great use for my out-of-control flour collection! I've never tried chocolate and teff flour together before but I think it sounds like something I would love. Bookmarking these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do believe those are the most amazing looking gluten free brownies I have ever laid eyes on. I intend to make a video about how to make coconut cream and ghosties next week - I promise!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.