Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkin Rocks


Anson says, "Groats??!"
My nephew Anson is helping me out with today's post.  He says to tell you that while this granola might look like a bowlful of rocks, it actually tastes like pumpkin pie.  The trouble is, he hasn't tasted this granola yet, so he's basing his theory on blind trust and previous eating experience in the Kittee department.



Pumpkin Pie Granola
Makes a whole lot.

What You Need:
● 3 cups raw buckwheat groats
● ¼ cup flax meal
● ½ cup dried figs
● 1 cup water
● pinch salt
● ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
● ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
● 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
● 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon or a mix of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
● 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
● 1/3 cup agave nectar
● ¾ cup finely chopped candied ginger

What You Do:
  1. In a giant bowl, add the buckwheat grouts and plenty of water to cover by several inches and soak for a couple of hours. Drain well and rinse several times, then drain once more and return the groats to the big bowl.  Allow to sit overnight, rinsing and draining a few times (this will sprout the grain).  Rinse and drain one more time, then proceed with the recipe.
  2. Combine the ground flax with the wet buckwheat and stir to mix well.
  3. In a blender, whiz up the figs and water to create a thick slurry. Add to the groat mixture along with the salt, pumpkin puree, pumpkin seeds, coconut, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
  4. Drizzle in the agave and candied ginger and combine. Dehydrate or bake until crunchy and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
  5. To dehydrate: Spread onto Teflex or parchment covered sheets about 1/2” thick and dehydrate until the top is dry. Place an extra tray on top of each sheet and flip. Peel away the Teflex or parchment and and
    continue to dehydrate until dry. Break into chunks and eat eat eat.
xo
kittee

This blog, has joined with over 600 others, to celebrate Vegan MoFo - The Vegan Month of Food. Learn more about MoFo by visiting Vegan Mofo Headquarters.

12 comments:

  1. Yum. All things pumpkin! I want some of this to go with the pumpkin spice coffee I picked up at Trader Joe's this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh yeah! I want some of that granola please! Or, I could just make my own batch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Anson (I love his name, BTW!) I have a theory that your rocky granola is scrumptious. And I haven't even tasted it yet, either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made granola in ages---cuz I've been off cereal for brekkie. Dunno why. But this recipe may turn me right around. Squeeze your nephew's earlobes for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin pie granola sounds delicious! I haven't made granola since last fall. This might be the inspiration that I need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of us have blind trust in Kittee recipes. It's the Kittee cult of vegan cereals. What a way to greet morning. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buckwheat groat granola is the best (if only because you get to say 'groat' which is a fantastically fun/strange word)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this sounds awesome. I'm usually way too lazy to make granola and way too cheap to buy the stuff, so I go without breakfast and get grumpy way too early in the day. But this totally looks worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Anson is going to make a great food blogger one day! And I have never made my own granola but I really should, I want rocks for brekkie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Perfect for Halloween morning. Thank you Kittee. xo

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.