Thursday, October 4, 2012

How I Really Do.


I'm especially proud of the green cabinet knob in this shot.
This is probably the closest I'll ever come to having "Mise en Place" happen anywhere near my kitchen.  I usually have way too many activities happening up in there not to mention, the ghosts and remains of stray projects scattered all about derailing any and all attempts at organization.

One serious bowl of oh-oh-oh-yea.
I think it's OK as long as my multitasking doesn't get in the way of pumping out delicious vegan tidbits.  In this case, when I say tidbit, I'm specifically referring to a delicious bowl brimming full with grain salad.  Grain salad sure doesn't sound awesome, but trust me, 'cuz they're one of the easiest and most delicious things I know how to make.  Gimme a big bowl of warm grain tossed with a tart acid + oil dressing, dotted with crunchy accessories and at least one legume, and I'll be your adoring fan for life. Or until the bowl's gone empty.

Cutest mug ever, gifted to me by a former student.
The quinoa salad featured here is one I've been making in one form or another for about 15 years.  It's adapted from one of my first vegan cookbooks--Lorna Sass' Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen.  So simple, all you do is cook up quinoa with salt, cinnamon and turmeric then dump it in a bowl and while still warm add in:

❤ Pink Lady Apples ❤ chickpeas ❤ parsley or mint ❤ raisins ❤ sunflower seeds
 ❤ evoo ❤ lemon zest and juice ❤ plus more salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste ❤

While salads like this are good straight away, I especially enjoy them cold out of the fridge.  Another cold grain salad I love, but with a really different flavor profile, is Dottie's Corn Rice and Bean Salad.  Instead of the canned corn, make it with giant pieces of fluffy white hominy.  Oh-oh-oh!

Have a great weekend my fellow Mofies and non- Mofies alike!  I'll be back on Monday, but probably even sooner with pics of the brownies Mom and I just pulled out of the oven.

xo
kittee

This blog, has joined with over 600 others, to celebrate Vegan MoFo - The Vegan Month of Food. Learn more about MoFo by visiting Vegan Mofo Headquarters.

42 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That random cup of flour was on your counter when we made Ethiopian food on Wednesday. I love that about your kitchen, it's easy to tell what your passions are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love grain salads so much... And yet I never make them. I was actually thinking that an all-salad mofo would be fun. I have been thinking about grain salads a lot lately. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make them nearly enough. I am bad in the planning department, I need to get that going on. I never have what I need to make anything anymore, without a trip to the shop.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  3. I see you also like Tazo tea, have you ever tried their Berryblossom White loose leaf? It's easily one of the best teas I've ever had, I highly recommend it. They sell it through Starbucks and Amazon, about $13 for 6.2 oz (by weight, it's more like 12-16oz by volume), which is an amazing deal given the quality of white tea they use. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty much an herbal tea drinker, I don't think I've ever tried white tea before! This tea I was drinking straight, but it's going into a raspberry rooibos quick bread as soon as I get home!

      xo
      kiittee

      Delete
  4. I've been looking for a new quinoa recipe, as I eat the same quinoa dish over and over for breakfast. Will work this amazing combo into the rotation -- thanks for the amazing idea Kittee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get in ruts too, all the time. Also, I am not into breakfast foods, but I do love salads like this first thing in the morning. We can be breakfast twins!

      Delete
  5. I don't usually have everything set out either, unless I'm baking and then I at least have all my different flours out. Love the mug, it's very cute!

    Also, I saw your comment on Amey's blog about white chocolate. We have heaps of xgfx white chocolate over here so if you ever want some, just ask and I will send you some! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you bring me some next summer when you come for VVC? I will totally pay you, or buy you an equivalent in whatever you want from here.

      <3

      Delete
    2. Pssssh! I will bring you lots for free, hun! We will talk closer to VVC :)

      Delete
  6. That sounds phenomenal...any kinda grain salad is my friend, but I have a special place in my heart for quinoa. And incidentally, I do set everything out and I still can't find what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's horrible at mise en place! Every now and then I try to do it but I just feel like everything takes longer and I end up making more mess. That salad looks great, I love the idea of quinoa, chickpeas and apples together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big bowl of "oh-oh-oh-yea" indeed!! I loooooove grain and bean salads. They're so yummy *and* I can wear a smug look when I'm stuffing my face with them because they're so very healthy and wholesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true! they satisfy my carb cravings completely.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  9. It is required that a vegan kitchen is messy. It has to be sometimes. It shows you have passion! Your quinoa dish looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love grain salads, in fact, after seeing yours now it what's will be for dinner tonight. With loads of olives on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these salads too. Quinoa is my fav. You said your student gave you your mug, what do you teach? I plan to try your gf brownies soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a trained Montessori guide, I used to teach a primary classroom of 2-5 year olds many years ago.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  12. Cooking around here is more like a messy mad science experiment. Sometimes I try to get everything measured and organized but it usually ends up all over me and my kitchen no matter.

    Your salad looks great, especially with the cinnamon, turmeric and apples. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kitchen science experiments are the best things tho.

      Delete
  13. "Messy en place", ha ha, love it. :) And hey, grain salad sounds awesome to me! I love the idea of pink lady apples with mint along with everything else, it would be so fresh tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm I adore grain salads too. I could have a quinoa salad every day for the rest of my days :)

    I like the combo of veggies you've put together. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love salads like this and even though it's autumn, I'm not ready to let go of them yet. Thanks for this one.

    Enjoy your first MoFo weekend break!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks delicious!! and your kitchen counter looks so cozy~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mipa! i plan to give a kitchen tour this month!

      Delete
  17. I know right. I would be so sad if I didn't like them, but Dazee could really take or leave them, and usually he won't eat them at all...

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOoh I love bowl foods, with everything in it. Hahaha, fantastic title and dish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That quinoa salad sounds amazing! I'm a bit puzzled, though: I thought that Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen was basically an update of Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen but I can't find that recipe. What's it called? Any info would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the cookbook with me right now, 'cuz I'm out of town. But it's a cousous recipe with chickpeas, green apples and sunflower seeds.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. Oh, so you swapped out couscous for quinoa! I just looked it up and it's officially called 'Crunchy Couscous Salad' :-)

      It's one of the recipes I hadn't tried yet, but I have all the ingredients at hand so that will be today's lunch. Mmm.

      xo
      Violet

      Delete
    3. I make a few other changes too, but it's good as is. If you haven't already made it, add lemon zest!

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the tip -- I just finished making it, and WOW! It tastes every bit as good as it looks!

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.