Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ranty-Pants--XGFX Cookbook Desires


I love vegetables and beans, with my whole heart.  I swear.  One of the most awesome things about them is they're gluten-free, no need to de-glutenize--just pop 'em right in your mouth.  Hoorah!



So please Mr. or Ms. vegan and gluten-free cookbook author, please don't fill your cookbooks with salad recipes OK?  It's called "taking the easy way out," and it makes me sad 'n' cranky.  Poor Julie, 'cuz when I'm sad 'n' cranky about your cookbook, the first thing I do is call her and complain about it until my neurological system is clear of the offense (this often takes multiple conversations and lots of time we could be drinking smoothies or having delicious salad).  It adds up to a whole lot of cranky-pants and no-win-no win.

When I get my hands on a brand new XGFX cookbook, you can bet your beet bottoms the first thing I do is turn on the ol' laser eyes and scan for recipes:  bagels, pancakes, muffins, crunchy things that stick to tofu or other protein, or anything that looks new and interesting.  Or like we say in New Orleans, "Throw me a crouton recipe mister!"

Since you asked, here's the other stuff I want from a XGFX book:
❤ A variety of baked good recipes that don't result in gummy middles. 
❤ Interesting protein ideas.
❤ No flour mixes (commercial or mix your own recipes).  Please, just tell me how much millet flour I need, and let me get on with my day.
❤ Consistency.
❤ Pictures are nice.
I don't think these are unrealistic desires, but you'd be surprised how few and far between good XGFX books are to find.

Soon to come:  A review of Allyson Kramer's Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats, a book giveaway plus my awesome, never dull opinions.
I'm sharing this info, because I'm gearing up to post a bunch of XGFX book reviews, and you should know what I like and what I'm looking for.  I also don't want you to think I don't like green peppers and cannelloni beans, because I like them a lot.

xo
kittee

14 comments:

  1. I am so in love with Allyson's book (and was a lucky recipe tester to boot!) -- and my family is addicted to the double chocolate muffins (which I think you have pictured?). Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, those are the double chocolate muffins, but we have renamed them chocolate muffcakes.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't aware that were even a handful of gf vegan cookbooks out there?! Guess I'm not in the know about these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a number these days, with more coming out all the time.
      http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=vegan%20gluten%20free&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

      Delete
    2. That was just a reference, but there's a lot!

      Delete
  3. Oh good, I look forward to your reviews. I think a lot of vegan books are pretty mediocre these days too, honestly. Put the two together and you're really screwed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall try! I have decided not to give bad reviews, because that isn't very nice, but I do hope to offer good reviews after trying many recipes!

      I miss you.
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. Somehow I don't have any xgfx cookbooks, except the Babycakes donut one. I just de-glutenize everything from my vegan cookbooks. So, looking forward to your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki! I get them all from the library...our library has everything!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  5. I see and appreciate your challenges. I am not gluten-free, but I am at least *trying* by including a few GF and GF-possible recipes in my upcoming pie book. Sorry, Kittee. It's just uncharted territory for me.

    And hey--why don't YOU write a GF cookbook?! You certainly have the cache and knowledge. And it would be such an amazing, colorful creative book that you would probably have everyone and their mothers--and fathers--eating GF. I am hoping you will. You could call it ""Gluten-Free with Kittee Bee." Do it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you had me laughing all evening with gf with kittee bee.

      i will give you a firm MAYBE!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  6. I'm totally looking fwd to the reviews since I a relatively new vegan (Jan) and I think my DH may be gluten sensitive. Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome to veganism! Let me know if I can help you with anything!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  7. The study turnkey rental compared and ranked the costs of buying or renting a home in more than 200 US metropolitan areas with the salaries of more than 60 jobs. rental properties

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.