Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The chicken has fallen.

Dazee's dad likes to help me build stuff around the house, which is ace because I'm not the best with lumber or electricity, and he's all about wiring lights, power drills and building stuff I couldn't put together on my own.  This spring, he assembled a few garden boxes for us in the back yard.


Since we have pretty short summers here in Portland, raised beds are great.  Not only do they get the soil warm earlier and keep it warm, they also make amending and weeding the soil much easier.  I've really enjoyed them this summer, even though it's been a weird one temperature wise with a lot of flux--chilly or insanely hot.  The tomatoes seriously don't know if they're coming or going.


Although none of the nightshades know what the double eff hockey-pucks is going on, the greens are doing great.  This dino-kale and lettuce mix were planted in a box which only receives a little sun and seem to be doing really well, although the chard is failing.  You confound me, chard.


Here I present to you my first real haul (from yesterday).  Not too shabby if you ignore the tomato quotient and the fact I let the zucchinis get too big.  The dahlias really tickle my fancy, so next year I'll probably give them better real estate along with some other flowers and make the vegetables pay for their wrong doings.


However, the lemon cucumbers are abundant, cute and delicious, and they shall not be punished.  There will definitely be lots of lemon cucumbers in the future.

xo
kittee

9 comments:

  1. Woo, your garden looks awesome! Love the raised beds--I don't know what I'd do without mine. Great first harvest too--got a month or so to eke more out, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! the main reason i wanted them besides soil warmth was the damn weeds. they are bonkers and invasive and just nutballs in our backyard, and i couldn't keep them out of the beds to save my love. invasive buttercups are the worst!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. This summer was my first try at gardening in the PNW and except for the tomatoes, lettuce and Red Russian kale, it was a dismal failure. (Actually the tomatoes are yet unripe, but at least they're still there.) The peppers and zucchini disappeared completely and the broccoli looks like bonsai plants. Your bounty is impressive. I really need boxes but I'll probably have to pay someone else' father-in-law or make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. broccoli is really hard to time, i haven't figure it out yet! they bolt right away and make teeny tiny itty bitty heads. lasy year my squash disappeared, so i totally understand. the raised beds have helped me so much. if my shoulder wasn't frozen, it wouldn't be too hard to make them. and they were only about $20 each--and mine are big. so maybe just find an extra pair of hands and you'll be ok. you can also use cinderblocks and house siding as options!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. I had frozen shoulders several years ago. First one froze, and after it was healed, the second froze. It took about a year for each to heal and they hurt like hell. The first one I saw a physical therapist and the second I didn't see anyone but they both healed at the same speed. I found a lot of interesting info on the Niel-Asher Technique (bit.ly/OZaZCv) which made the most sense to me but was only being practiced in London at the time at the London Frozen Shoulder Clinic. I used the free exercises. No one in Madison really knew what to do about it. One said I needed surgery and one said I definitely didn't and no matter what I did it would get better. He was right but I sure wished I could go to London.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the link Andrea. This is my second one to go, and I hope after it heals I'll be done with this. It's been really awful. I'm super surprised how common it is, because I'd never heard of it until my first one froze. I saw a PT for the first one and found all they were interested in was measuring my range of motion, which made me feel bad. I've been getting acupuncture and cupping and have some exercises from an orthopedic massage therapist, but those are more preventative strengthening than healing.
      xo kittee

      Delete
  3. I love fresh veggies from the garden! This summer I didn't really grow much and am looking at your photos wishing I had some. The lemon cuke are so cute! I started mine a little to late and have only gotten a couple this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your raised beds are ultra-fabulous and so abundant! I think raised beds get a bad rap sometimes because they are seen as limited. Yours most certainly Are Not!

    Haven't had a lemon cucumber since I lived in Indiana, but I remember them being tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you thank you! i don't think these are limited at all, i am feeling much more creative with them actually. the weeds were stressing me way out.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.