Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rejuvelation.

Portland is quite brrRRR brrrRR for most of the year, so when the weather warms up in August, I like to take advantage of the short heat window and ferment and preserve stuff.  Last summer I made the simple South Indian style lemon pickle from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.  The problem is they came out so good they didn't make it past the fall, and I was left bereft for the rest of the year.  I remedied the situation this year and sextupled the recipe.  Oh, yes yes yes I did.  The pickle jars have been living outside on our back patio soaking up sun for the last 11 days, and today I brought them in for a quick taste before stuffing them into the fridge.  Jackpot. 


I've also been busying myself with Miyoko Schinner's new book Artisan Vegan Cheese, although it's giving me really funky food memory flashbacks.  Like I suddenly remember feeling crazy-excited when soda manufacturers started using aspartame instead of saccharin in diet soda.  It also reminds me of the release of The Uncheese Cookbook, 'cuz that was pretty exciting back in the day, too--albeit loads more healthy.

I think Miyoko's book has the potential to be quality of life changing (as long as cashew prices don't go up any more), and I like feeling like a mad kitchen scientist fermenting and culturing all of her delicious concoctions.  Too delicious actually, because they also sorta remind me of my old cow cheese addiction.  So far her stuff is really tasty.

In the last few days I've successfully made quinoa rejuvelac and cashew yogurt and am in the process of making her sharp cheddar and air-dried cheddar cheeses.

Patience is required.

I'll report back in a few days once the cheeses are further along in their curing journeys, assuming I don't eat them all first, because they're delicious enough to want to devour straight outta the blender.  If you're curious about the book, Amazon has a "search inside" preview available online with many of the recipes accessible.

xo
kittee

11 comments:

  1. Holy fermentation. I just picked up a case of jars to make some kraut. Now you got me thinkin' about pickles and cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pickling cukes from the garden I need to wrangle too, but I don't know what to do with them, since I only get a handful at a time. What kraut recipe do you use? I also have an obscene amount of shredded cabbage and a big fat beet.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh how exciting! i love pickled veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do a lot of quick pickles in my Japanese pickle press when I had a small amount of cukes. It's nice and easy (and delicious) for a short supply but not long-term storage.

    I've been avoiding Miyoko's book for some reason. For one thing, I almost never use cheese for anything anymore. I used to use the Uncheese Cookbook a lot years ago, but now I just don't care. That's not to say I don't like "cheese." I'll eat it happily if it's there — maybe I'm just too lazy to make it. But you've peeked my interest again, and I may have to own the book just because it sounds so interesting. Thanks for the info — I'm heading over to Amazon to see what's what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Andrea, we almost never use cheese around here--pizza is our biggie. But, I do love and miss a nice cheese plate when we have friends and houseguests visiting. That's what I'm gonna use these for. Y'know homemade crackers, grapes, figs,apples and cheese. So mmmMMMMmm. Also, I am very curious about the homemade mozzarella balls, which were featured on vegansaurus awhile back.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  5. The "best" store bought faux cheeses gag me, so I'm anxiously awaiting your review. Even if you do eat it before the photo shoot.

    I've had great luck with Renae's sauerkraut recipe:
    http://ieatfood.net/2008/12/22/homemade-sauerkraut/



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the cultured cashew cheezes out there like Dr. Cow and Punk Rawk Labs? I think these will be more similar to those versus Daiya, Follow Your Heart, etc.

      Thanks for the link!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Kittee, I haven't seen those cheezes out here in the heartland but I'll look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see how your cheese turns out! I'm a little wary of making anything fermented in case I accidentally give people food poisoning, but I really want to get that book so am curious to see other people's results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. there's one in the works, check back in a few days!

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.