Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dazee Makes Old.

 
While Dazee and I don't celebrate too many occasions as a family unit, we do get down for birthdays. One of our mini traditions is to celebrate Dazee's August birthday with some Ethiopian flare.  



Here you can see Dazee conquering NYC with his birthday platter.  After a couple of bites he climbed the Empire State Building with nothing but his greasy niter kibbeh covered paws.  That's some grip.


We laid blankets in the back yard and had a picnic!  The recipes were mostly straight outta PT Loves Ethiopian Food, with a few minor changes here and there (described below for the curious amongst you). 

Everything was xgfx and mostly soy-free too! 
The omnipotent and omnipresent niter kibbeh was made with straight up organic canola oil, since I'm reducing our palm intake as much as possible. 
  • Injera Fakeouts -- Teff and brown rice dosa hybrids--fermented and yummy.  Thankfully universal forces were supporting my venture and our cast iron grill behaved, not one stuck!
  • Azifa--Lentil Salad -- Since I was making three salads, I wanted to mix up the dressings a bit; the Azifa was based on this recipe from My New Roots with De Puy lentils and minced yellow bells, although I omitted the ground clove.
  • Ye'Miser W'et & Sausage -- Red lentils in a spicy gravy with black eyed pea sausages.
  • Vegetable Allecha -- String beans and potatoes in a mild stew with lots of garlic, cooked on the stovetop.
  • Ye'Kik Allecha -- Yellow Split peas in a mild gravy.
  • Gomen (Ye'abesha/keysir) -- Collard and beet greens cooked with a little onion and tomato.
  • Keysir -- Marinated roasted beets.
  • Mac 'n' Cheesie --I made my standard southern style mac 'n' cheesie, with a chickpea and white sorghum flour roux, cashew milk, brown rice pasta and a sh'mear of berbere.
  • Selata -- Mixed green salad.  Nothing special, (well...except mostly grown in our backyard) but yummy on one of the hottest days of the year.
That's all she wrote.  My husband is OLD.  The end.

Oh yea, we also had sundaes for dessert with chopped up Chix o Stix, crushed cookies, marshmallow fluff and homemade sour cherry and butterscotch sauces.

xo
kittee

18 comments:

  1. Would you cook for me????? sounds pretty darn amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! That all looks absolutely incredible Kittee!!! You rule! Maybe I will hire you to make tasty yumminess for my birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!!!! Best birthday spread ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! We especially enjoyed the way the mac n cheeze snuck into the w'et and the w'et snuck into the mac n cheeze.

      Delete
  4. God that all sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are swimming in lefties, Meg! I wish you were here to help us.

      Delete
  5. Oh, my gosh! This all looks so good! What would I give to be at that picnic? Everything looks amazing! Also, a very happy birthday to Dazee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I would love to have a plate like this one for my birthday!
    Or 2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Truly amazing. Are you also cutting back on the coconut oil for baking projects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! I thought coconuts were sustainable. At least not ravaging the Rain Forests and chimp habitats like palm. What should I read?

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. Ha! I was thinking there was a new health concern (just when I started going back to the non-hydrogenated tropical oils). I understand now; thanks!

      Delete
    3. oh phew! you had me worried. i am trying really hard to decrease our earth balance dependency.

      Delete
  8. Oh man. You went all out with that feast. Dazee is one lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.