Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bun Chay Review II: Hanoi Kitchen

There's not too much to say about the bun chay from Hanoi Kitchen (Bun Dau Hu on the menu).  It's simple, f*cking delicious and probably my favorite Vietnamese in all of Portland-Land (at least between Mai Pho, Luc Lac, Tan Tan--which glutened me the last time I ate it...all my fault-- and Van Hanh).


Chopped lettuce, green onions, mint and cilantro are layered in soft vermicelli noodles topped with a scant drop of bean sprouts, fried lemongrass tofu, ground roasted peanuts, chopped cucumber and do chua (a traditional Vietnamese carrot & daikon quick pickle). It comes with a tangy, spicy and sweet sauce (make sure to ask for the vegan one).

It's cheap, too!  Ours  were only $6.75, so we splurged on a drink too.  The preserved lemon soda is sweet-salty deliciousness and cuts the spicy noodles well.  One caveat:  Dazee put sriracha on his bun and was surprised I thought mine was spicy as is.  So season with care, and if you eat in and want more spicy, they have a darkly roasted chile sauce that's pretty amazing.  Watch out you get the right one, as they keep the fish sauce on the same carousel.

Hanoi Kitchen
7925 NE Glisan
Portland, OR

xo
kittee

10 comments:

  1. holy crap that all looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish we were there : (

    Food trucks are coming to London but they're all meaty or they're pizza : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is a restaurant, not a cart...but so good. no Vietnamese in London?

      Delete
  3. Man, I am really sorry I missed this place when we were in Portland last month. :( Hopefully I will be there for my first VeganCon! Atlanta has some surprisingly good vegan Vietnamese options, though - several. The salt and pepper tofu at So Ba is one my favorite things to eat ever. That sadly doesn't keep me from coveting your tofu, however...

    adriennefriend at cracktheplates.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you planning to come for Vida Vegan? That would be great. I haven't been through Atlanta since '07, but I keep hearing about all the great food you have. I sure loved the Kale Bone from Soul Vegan, but since I'm off the gluten now, it makes eating other places easier.

      Delete
    2. Hey --- I'm so interested in trying this place (it is around the corner from my new house) but I'm gluten free too. Do the people who work their speak enough english to prevent you from getting glutened?

      Thanks, your fellow gluten avoider, Maryrose

      Delete
    3. Hi Maryrose!
      The owner and the owner's niece run the front of house and they speak perfect English. They're both super friendly and very accommodating.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. hehehe, yeah Atlanta is AWESOME. I recently bit the bullet and put together our first-ever Vegan city guide. It's at AtlantaVeganGuide.com. And of course I am still blogging at CrackthePlates.com.

    I would love to come to Vida Vegan but I've been unemployed all year. :( I thought about applying for a scholarship but then I think of all those other folks who are so deserving, why should I be the one to apply?! :) I have been hustlin' hard to get a job recently and have one PT offer secured and a couple other more stable things in the works. It's hard out there right now!

    But yes, atlanta = awesome. Please come visit us and eat all our food. We have basically everything needed to be a world-class vegan city, from vegan wedding cakes to softserve to smoked bbq to an all-vegan deli. It's kinda crazy... (Also! We have a guestroom!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite! I think you should apply for a grant and let the ladies of VidaVegan decide who is deserving!

      xo
      kittee

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.