Sunday, August 19, 2012

Allyson's Cherry Vanilla Bean Happy Pancake World

My friend Allyson released her first cookbook this year, Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats, and I couldn't be more proud of her.  The book is gorgeous with her own color photographs accompanying every recipe.  I'm savoring the book quite a bit and slowly cooking my way through it, so I'll be sure to post a proper review once I make a bunch more stuff (homemade xgfx ravioli--oh yes yes yes).

I love the way the cherry juice ebbs into the pancake batter.
In the meantime, I wanted to post about the Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes we made this morning.  I loved them for a bunch of reasons:  1.  I had everything I needed in the pantry, 2.  Very tasty, 3.  Vegan and gluten-free to the max, 4.  Cherries and vanilla!, 5. Our young house guest loved 'em, 4. Dazee loved 'em, (he's well known for his particular tastes), and the recipe made enough to fill all three of our tummies.

For true, even though Allyson is my friend and her publisher sent me this cookbook for free to review, these are our new favorite pancakes.


The pancakes were a breeze to put together and cooked up fluffy and golden brown, with no starchy aftertaste, which I notice sometimes with xgfx baking.  I have a freezer stuffed with frozen local cherries, so I was more than happy to dip into my stash for these, which will now be on a permanent breakfast food rotation in our house.

Happy pancake world!  I hope to try her homemade ravioli and bagels soon!  And cinnamon roasted cauliflower! And I need to tell you about the garlicky-noochy croutons I made from her brown bread.

xo
kittee

8 comments:

  1. holy pancakes! those look incredible! love the cherries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry and vanilla were destined to be best pals! I'm glad they've found a home in those pancakes. They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is eactly what we need. More gluten free recipes that everyone wants to eat.
    Its a long time since Ive tried pancakes but this is going to be put to the test tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make them? We loved these so much!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  4. You are right, Allyson is so talented and her recipes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, i haven't tried those yet, but I LOVE Allyson's book. I made those Butterscotch Amaretti that you told me about and they are Crazy Yumtown! Of all the (13) batches of cookies I made for the wedding, those are Musty's favorites! XGFX victory!

    ps. you are a blogging machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seriously impressed with what I've seen of this cookbook thus far. It might become the first GF cookbook I own! (Apart from your zines... they're GF, right?!) :)

    adriennefriend at cracktheplates.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on a few more recipes from this book before I give it a proper review. But for right now, I can't stop making the pancakes. I've made cherry twice, blueberry twice, peach and peach blackberry. If you don't have lots of flours around, you will need to pick up a few, but if you want awesome things you can bring to a potluck where you want everyone to be able to eat, this book has it. Good stuff.

      Last PT is xgfx, first one isn't!

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.