Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vietnamese Salad Rolls Go to the Park.

I like to make Vietnamese salad rolls in the summer (goi cuon) and since they're especially sturdy little travelers, I think they're great for potlucks and picnics.  I packed some up yesterday and hit the park with some friends.

Vietnamese inspired salad rolls or Goi Cuon Chay
Even though these can have a lot of parts, they're still pretty easy to put together.  I had a whole platter whipped up in about an hour and half.  I stuffed some soaked rice paper with bun noodles (rice vermicelli), mint slivers, nasturtium flowers (they add so much color, but a really nice spicy bite, too), green onion and seasoned Soy Curls.  We dipped 'em in a basic peanut/hoisin sauce (Premier Japan makes a xgfx hoisin).

The lettuce, nasturtium blossoms and mint were all from our garden. 
I think the Soy Curls were a welcome change to the standard tofu roll.  I hydrated them in plain ol' boiling water until soft, then squeezed out all possible drops of water.  I heated them up in a skillet and dry fried them for a couple of minutes to remove more moisture, then sauteed them in a tablespoon of canola until they started to pick up some color.  Then I simply added a bit of wheat-free tamari, a big squirt of Sriracha and some minced garlic and cooked well.  Once they were just about done and pretty brown (the soy sauce caramelizes on them a bit) I added a medium sized drizzle of maple syrup which also caramelizes and gives them a deeper layer of flavor and color.

I usually pack my salad rolls too full, but yesterday I figured out a new trick which produces a tighter more uniform roll.  Instead of laying all the toppings on top of each, spread them out across the rice paper a bit, then capture them up as you roll.  I also like to place the nasturtiums towards the end, so they show through the paper.  Let me know if that doesn't make sense, and I can try to take a picture next time around.

xo
kittee

18 comments:

  1. those are so pretty! i love that you can see the flowers showing through! great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea- filling 'em with nasturtiums. Were those from your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so colorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kittee! they are beautiful!!! thanks for the rolling tip, I'll have to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so beautiful! I bet your picnicking friends were impressed. Those are a definite step up from coleslaw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the perfect summer food! I'll have to try your rolling trick next time I make them -- thanks kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love making Salad Rolls and I double love that you add nasturtiums to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at the inclusion of nasturtiums. What a beautiful touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so pretty! I love summer rolls but I've never made them myself, I'll have to try this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been intimidated to make my own spring rolls but im totally are going to try to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I'm always simultaneously frozen with all the possibilities of what could go in the those rice paper wrappers and wanting to do something with the nasturtiums in the garden but just not sure what. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd been wondering what to do with my nasturtium flowers--genius!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.