Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fast and furious.

I always get into the best adventures with my friend, Kim, and today is no exception. We dusted off and voraciously washed the deserted juicer that was languishing in her basement for the last nine years (a nice relic from the former owners, her grandparents-in-law) and put it to task.  It's just a simple Juiceman, but it seems to be serving us just fine--even with some tough greens.

Top row from left: C.A.R. (apple, beet, carrot, ginger lemon), Cashew Milk (cashews, water, agave and cinnamon), P.A.M. (pineapple, apple, mint).   Bottom row from left:  green juice (celery, cucumber, apple, kale, parsley, spinach, lemon and romaine) and spicy lemonade (lemon, water, agave and cayenne).
 
We're following a copycat version of the Blueprint Cleanse, and the cost is not totally insane--the three day total for each of us is about $45.  The Blueprint seems totally do-able for us, since it's a short fast, and we get to drink a wide variety of interesting bevies, each packing in different nutrients, plus finish each day off with a big jug of cashew milk to get our needed fat and calories.  So far, the juices have all been delicious--especially the pineapple-cuke-mint, but I'm sure finishing up with what is basically a big creamy horchata will seal the deal for me.  Cashews, cinnamon and agave?  Yes.


We juiced, blended and squeezed our hearts out this morning, to make everything we need for today, and we'll do the same each morning for the next three days.  Our goal is to drink six 16oz beverages every two hours throughout the day starting with a green juice followed by pineapple mint (we added cucumber to ours to stretch it out a bit), more green, spicy lemonade a-la Master Cleanse, carrot-beet and then the nut milk.  Check out the link to see the specifics for each juice.

xo
kittee

11 comments:

  1. Pretty!! I think I could even do a juice cleanse if it included cashew milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this fast has been really fun! all of the juices are so good and interesting and come so often, it has been a total breeze. the milk at the end of the night is so so so good.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
  2. Sweet! What a great post. I've seen those Blueprint drinks in Whole Foods. Our WF here in Providence *just* started carrying them, but I had NO IDEA of the price of each bottle!! I just got a new juicer, so I am definitely going to try out some of these ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have fun! i was reading through the blueprint cleanse book, and the recipes on the link fit right into their program.

      Delete
  3. Oh you are too-too good. I know I should do a cleanse. In fact, I just downloaded Kris Carr's juicing ebook--to go on the shelf with all my other juice books.

    You are my idol, Kittee xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh!!!! i don't really need her e-book, but i was so tempted because of the 5 juicer giveaway she's doing! i am about to throw down on a breville myself. we just about killed this poor old juiceman.

      Delete
  4. How are you doing with your cleanse? This is day #3 for you, right? I'd love an update on how you're doing with it since my husband and I are contemplating doing this same one ourselves! We have a nice masticating juicer but we're not exactly dab hands at using it. How long did it take you to prepare a day's worth of juices for two people? We have a couple of young kids who won't be cleansing with us so I will also have to make meals for them and I'm concerned about time constraints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. howdy!
      we are both doing stellar on this thing! i have really not been hungry at all, the only little pangs i've had are my own fault, if i get behind on a juice. the cashew milk at the end of the evening is just really good and keeps me full all night. if we weren't having issues with this poor overly stressed juiceman, i would probably extend this at least three more days to a week. i plan to start juicing more, once i get myself a juicer, and maybe fasting once a month or so.

      energy wise i feel pretty normal, but i eat a pretty clean diet usually. i did have a slight headache the first day, but honestly i think i've been a bit dehydrated lately.

      prep for two probably takes a tiny bit more than prep for one would. i would say give yourself at least 2 hours, because the clean up is pretty intense. if you can prep ahead, it saves time...cleaning beets, cutting them in half. coring apples,(ours were from a tree and had worms so we had to be careful with them), peeling and halving cukes, coring pineapple--all of this will help save a ton of time.

      as for the order, if you don't want to clean out your juicer after each juice, make the pineapple first, the green juices second, and the beet juice last. we also tried to vary our green juices to make the day more interesting. one might be more with celery and ginger and the other with more lemon.

      let me know if you have more questions!
      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    2. i want to also add, even after the second day i didn't feel particularly light on my toes, but today i definitely feel it.

      Delete
    3. All of this is very helpful - thank you!!! I'm glad you had such a good experience! The only other thing we've been wondering about is that my husband is a big man (6'4") and we're worried that he is not going to get enough calories during the cleanse and will be really hungry at work. Any thoughts?

      Delete
    4. The only thing I can think to tell you is to prepare a few more drinks for him. Maybe another green juice and a carrot beet mixture. Honestly, drinking one of these every hour during the day, and water the other hours has kept me really full!

      Delete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.