Wednesday, December 28, 2011

You're a Monkey Lover.


I'm not sure who all reads this blog, but I dare bet y'all are a bunch of MONKEY LOVERS.  If you heart on the furry bubs like I do, here's an easy (and affordable) way to lend them a hand.  Buy a copy of Hungry Monkey and gain a nice compilation of vegan recipes.  Your financial support will not only fill your belly, it'll help out rescued lab monkeys. 

This submission to the Vegan Cook-Zine Museum was written by my friend Adriana and the curator of this zine.  Read her fine words, buy a copy of the zine, then cook up my xgfx buckwheat ginger pancakes, 'cuz it's one of the recipes I contributed. Happy monkeys and happy New Year!

*****

Hungry Monkey: Vegan Recipes Written by Activists
Hungry Monkey Vegan Cookzine has dozens of delicious recipes written by animal rights activists and vegan chefs and benefits rescued lab monkeys!  All proceeds go directly to support eight lucky monkeys who became "seized property" when an animal testing laboratory in New Jersey went bankrupt one year ago.  These monkeys now live at Mindy's Memory Primate Sanctuary in Oklahoma, and all money from this zine goes towards sheltering them from harsh winter weather, as well as food and supplies.

The zine cover was beautifully illustrated by Renato Stumpo,  the illustrator from the UK's anarchist magazine "Now or Never."
I created most of the layout for this zine by cutting and pasting pictures I found from an old 1900's Sears catalog.  Inside, it's brimming full of gluten-free, raw and sugar-free recipes.  All of the gluten-free recipes are clearly designated in the table of contents, too.

If I were forced to pick a favorite recipe it would have to be the Maple Bacon Cupcakes.  

SO V-E-G-A-N Maple Bacon Cupcakes
This recipe was created by my friend Kelsey Tahara, who loves to bake into the wee hours of the night, when she isn't swamped with art school.  I tested out this recipe and was super stoked by the results, because her frosting is just spot-on perfect .  

My favorite gluten-free friendly dessert is the Coconut Agave Pearl Pudding.  I'm blushing, because it's my own recipe, but it's damn good!  This spin-off of a classic tapioca recipe is insanely delicious, and the agave rush it delivers makes all the stirring involved super worthwhile.

If you're looking for something savory and a bit more challenging, I recommend the Yuca Tamales.  Yuca is common in Latin cooking and is a starchy potato-like root that carries a hearty flavor.  Buy some corn husks and try your luck at making these--they're great to eat during the winter and are extra-amazing topped with homemade guacamole.  


Title: The Hungry Monkey:  Vegan Recipes Written by Activists
Author: Compiled by Adriana Pope with contributions from animal rights activists and famous vegan chefs.
Availability: On sale through Etsy.
Size: 6 1/2" X 8 1/2" / Stapled (legal half sized)
Length: 52 pages
Collection: 35 recipes, 2 articles and 3 How-Tos.
5 Recipes to Intrigue:  Qatayef (Rose Water Walnut Crepes), Satanic Potato Angels, Thai Peanut Celebration "Spread", Texas Caviare and HomeStyle Grape Pie.
XGFXness: This zine is almost entirely xgfx.
Zine Wiki: Not listed

3 comments:

  1. Who told you I was a monkey lover?!! I just bought a zine and cannot wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks all you monkey lovers!

    Thanks to everyone's support, I'll be sending a decent sized check to Mindy's Memory Primate Sanctuary this week from all the money fundraised from my little zine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a momkey lover too. I have a marmoset. http://ideaspensamientosyalgomas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.