Any rolled cookie recipe will work for these cookies. I slightly modified the Rolled Brown Sugar Cookies recipe from The Allergen Free Baker's Handbook, but even gingerbread would work. (The recipe is available if you search through the book on Hamazone).
- Roll your dough out and cut out whatever shapes you want, then use a smaller cutter to remove a small area from the center.
- Transfer your cookies to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Crush up some hard candies (we had leftover Dum Dums from Halloween still taking up space, but any lollipop type candy would work) and sprinkle them thickly into the cut area of your cookie where you want the stained glass to be.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the cookies are golden and the candy is melted. I noticed some sugar cookie recipes bake at a pretty high temperature, but I wouldn't really go higher than 375F for these.
- If you want to hang these anywhere, carefully poke holes in 'em, when they're still warm, then allow to cool until the candy area is set. Transfer to racks to cool the rest of the way.
- To frost-- mix up some vegan powdered sugar and coloring paste with water to make a pretty thick paste. Use this to outline the outside of your cookies and the outside of your stained glass. Then mix up a thinner glaze with more powdered sugar, vanilla extract, coloring paste and water and use to "flood" the cookies with an even layer of glaze. You'll be able to use a toothpick or small knife to direct the frosting where you want it to go. The thick lines will keep it from flowing off the cookie or getting into unwanted areas.
- Let dry and hang or eat!