Friday, December 30, 2011

It's no Dream, Grandma.

In order to fully appreciate this blog post, please put on your buckwheat goggles now.

Sprouted buckwheat groats, pumpkin seeds, coconut, raw cacao powder, prunes, flax seed, agave nectar, vanilla and salt.
I've been making some crunchy-yummy granola lately.  It's made with prunes, so if you know any laid back elderly folks you've been trying to impress, now's your chance.  Or, if you keep company with a more uptight sophisticated set, simply call this raw buckwheat granola with cacao and dried plums, and you'll win their favor.

I swear, before you have time to even bat an eyelash,  you'll be your town's Raw Granola Pied Piper leading the masses to toilets all over town.  Or if you're my mom, you can lead them to the john, whichever.

Well not really.  The prunes in this cereal just sweeten the deal, accentuate the cacao and add a bit of fiber and iron.  They don't make you poop.  At least not more than normal. At least not more than I usually poop.  But I guess I should disclaim, if you're a big pooper, I cannot be held responsible for what happens between you, this delicious cereal and the ladies room.  Dream big, y'all!

Anyway, I LOVE buckwheat granola.  It's the breakfast wet dream of champions, and I've been eating endless handfuls of it since last summer.  It's different every time I throw it together, but lately I've been basing it off the ingredients in this swanky and delicious commercial stuff I purchased during a recent road trip.  I can only justify spending $7 a pop on granola during vacation-time, and even then it's embarrassing and a one time trick.  So being the industrious lady-gal I am, I started making it at home.  Viola!  Affordable and sustainable.

I find making buckwheat granola a spontaneous meditation in xgfx eatery, I don't have a recipe and simply go by the a bit of this, a bit of that philosophy.  Here's the gist:
  • I usually start with about 4 cups of raw buckwheat groats that I soak in an abundance of clean water from 2 hours to two days.  Drain, rinse really-really well, then drain again, it will still be pretty wet.  Throw it into a giant bowl.
  • Mix in about 1/2 cup freshly ground flax-seed, a little salt, some coconut and raw pumpkin seeds (sometimes I grind them into a powder, sometimes I add them whole), approximately 1/3 cup (or so) raw cacao powder and agave nectar to sweeten it up.  For this prunish batch, I also added a huge handful of "dried plums" blended in about a cup of warm water. Sometimes I add a little vanilla extract and/or ground cinnamon, too.
  • Stir it all together!  Slather it on dehydrator sheets about 1/2" thick for a full day, then flip it out into a bowl, break it up into chunks and put it back in the dehydrator.  I like mine super crunchy and dry, so I dry it for another full day.  Plus it stores on my counter like this for weeks.   (I haven't tried this in an oven, but if yours goes low, I bet it'll work if you mind it carefully).
  • Makes about 1/2 gallon.  Eat by the handful, or top with fruit and almond milk.


  1. I was totally into making this granola, even went as far as to look for johns across state lines. Now looks to meI need to get some fancy shmancy parapernalia too, a dehydater, buckwheat goggles and a john? Can I just purchase a jar from you?

  2. I have also fallen in love with buckwheat granola this year. I eat it as a snack or for breakfast with almond or coconut milk. Either way, it's so good! I haven't tried chocolate yet, but I'm inspired. Happy New Year to you!

    1. thanks nikki! not to show off how hippy i am, but if you have any chia pudding laying around, it's really great with a bit of this stuff!

  3. Hey! I'm so happy to see this recipe. Any suggestions for using an oven or toaster oven to do the dehydrating? Thanks!

  4. Brilliant as per usual, kittee!Grandma would also love the bone-building properties of all those prunes! I'll definitely be trying this with my next batch. Thanks for a great recipe.

  5. Hi Angiepee,
    I haven't tried this in an oven, but what I'd do is press it into a lipped cookie sheet that's been covered in parchment. Put it at the lowest temperature possible, probably with the door cracked and watch it. As soon as it's dry enough to flip, I'd cut it into piece and flip it. Then once that seems stable, I'd break it up into chunks and keep going until crunchy!

  6. I seriously just wandered over to your blog while chomping on a snack-sized bowl of my own buckwheat granola! No dehydrator in my house, so I bake in a low oven. I use soaked dates or raisins to sweeten and sometimes molasses, but maybe I'll try these "dried plums" you speak of. :-)

  7. Oooooo. That looks munch-tastic!

  8. I love buckwheat added to my rolled oat granola. I must try this!


I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.