Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Vegan de Guadalupe: Mexican Food Authentically Vegan!


I better start looking for online docent applicants for this Cookzine Museum, 'cuz it's getting voluminous.  I still have a good-sized pile of zines to cook through, so this project may actually eek its way into the New Year.  It's definitely not gonna be completed by the end of MoFo, so don't start putting away your safety belts or anything.

Today, I hit Hortencia's Vegan de Guadalupe.  I keep this pretty-pretty zine tucked away in its original mailing envelope, so it's still in top shape.  I actually forgot about it until today and had to dig around a little to find it.  Someone really smart like Emma Goldman must have coined "out of sight, out of mind," 'cuz that is some real gold, folks.

The awesome cover art was made by the author's friend Danae.
Today I made three recipes from Vegan de Guadalupe, all served together as one dish:  Mole Verde, Salsa Verde Casera and some purple cabbage slaw.   Instead of tofu, I used Soy Curls in the Mole Verde.  This dish was the man!  We courted briefly over lunch, and as soon as Dazee tries some for dinner, I'm sure we'll be pluralizing our marriage tout de suite.

Let me spell it out for ya.
This was such a snap, too.  I sauteed some hydrated Soy Curls in olive oil with a chopped onion and some garlic.  Once that got some color, a bit of the Salsa Verde was stirred in, then it was briefly simmered.  I made tacos out of this with organic corn tortillas, a little avocado and some of the cabbage slaw, which is recommended with the green mole.

For Dazee's supper, I'll probably round this off with a little potato hash and maybe some pintos, too.



I don't know if this was a translation error, but the Salsa Verde Casera recipe calls for "green tomatoes," and since I've an armful to use up from the garden, I was on it like lint and packing tape. 

However, I'm wondering if Hortencia meant tomatillos, instead?  No matter, 'cuz now I have a new way to use up the last dawdles of Summer.

Hortencia ♥s Isa, Colleen and her friend Celina.  Aw!
A favorite thing I learned from this zine; César Chávez was vegan.  Who knew?
  • Title:  Vegan de Guadalupe:  Mexican Food Authentically Vegan! 
  • AuthorHortencia Armendariz / 2008
  • AvailabilityEmail contact here.
  • Size 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 (vertical half-size letter) / Stapled  / Color Front and Back 
  • Length: 30 pages
  • Collection22 recipes, each in English and Spanish
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueChilaquiles Verdes, Sopa de Fideo, Salsa Verde a la Horticulturelandia, Capirotada and Fruit Cocktail (contains cukes, watermelon, pineapple, mango and all sorts of other cool fruit!)
  • XGFXness: The entire zine, including desserts is xgfx, except for 1 seitan recipe and 1 chocolate cake recipe.  How's that for hoozah?
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed
xo
kittee

10 comments:

  1. YAY! I actually own this zine.
    *feels all smug*
    Though I've not made anything out of it yet.....I will do.
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that cover is beautiful. I am in awe of your cook zine collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one, but haven't cooked from it in too long! You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. first of all, that is THE CUTEST ZINE ever. how much do I love that drawing on the back cover??!! also, those recipes sound really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this zine so much. Your food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: chocolate sauce....

    No recipe, Kittee. My original use of this sauce is based on this recipe from Iheartwellness.com:

    Healthy Chocolate Sauce:

    1 tbsp coconut oil

    1 tbsp maple syrup

    1 tbsp cocoa powder

    Now I omit sweetener and just mix up liquid coconut oil and cacao or cocoa until it's a nice thick liquid. I think vanilla vega would be yum.
    Pour on top of anything cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all over this! Look at those colors. Wow. I love love love authentic Mexican food. Def trying this one out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful taco. Wait. Does that sound wrong? I love your pics and the zine sounds great...like they all do! I had Ethiopian last night and I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, really now. No one can be *this* witty and charming. You have me giggling in each post with your banter. I've never had soy curls...where does one find such an item?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the design of this zine, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.