Monday, October 3, 2011

Swell and CCC.


A-K's little book of Swell. is a looker an' all, what with its hand printed covers and dainty size, but don't get so charmed with its sweet looks that you glaze over the good stuff and miss the booty resting inside.

Swell. offers plenty of xgfx recipes to choose from, but the Mole-Roasted Cauliflower is what grabbed my cooking interest by the britches today.  I'm always looking for recipes to expand my cauliflower repertoire beyond aloo gobi and olive oil roasts, so when I read that the cauliflower nuggets in this recipe were coated in a cocoa based spice mixture, I knew I'd have to hit it.  Especially since my pantry was cocked and ready for this, and the concoction fit into my MoFo-Time-Schedule perfectly. 

Ladies, that's not burnt, that's CCC.
Read my body language-- COCOA COVERED CAULIFLOWER.

Basically, you coat your perfect farmers' market cauliflower with a paste made from:  chile powder (I used ancho), smoked paprika, cayenne, fresh oregano, sesame seeeds, cloves, coriander, cumin, cocoa, fresh garlic, oil, salt and lime juice.  Then you roast it, and if you follow directions well, you top it with freshly chopped cilantro.


I pretty much ate an entire head of cauliflower this afternoon.  No farting either, I am a seasoned vegan.
  • Title:  Swell. 
  • AuthorA-K 
  • Availability: According to A-K, she has plenty, so email her!
  • Size:   4.25″ x 5.5″ (quarter sized) / Stapled with hand printed covers.  It's pocket-sized and cute. 
  • Length:  24 pages 
  • Collection:  14 recipes plus info on preparing tofu and tempeh. 
  • 5 Recipes to Intrigue:  Mole-Roasted Cauliflower* Chipotle Black Bean Tahini Dip* Coconut Red Bean quinoa* Maple-Mustard-Chili Tofu* Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers with Millet and Leeks (Pictures can be seen here). 
  • XGFXness:  Everything but the three baked good recipes are xgfx. 
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed
xo
kittee

15 comments:

  1. I soooo love your theme, Kittee! That cauliflower looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds amazing! I really wouldn't have thought of putting cocoa on cauliflower, but with all of those savory spices joining up with it, now I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That CCC looks fricking amazing! I'm always at a loss as to what to do with cauliflower apart from raw in a salad or cauliflower cheese, this review of yours has got me all excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what! I picked up cauliflower today AAAND I have that adorbs zine. (I am ashamed to say that I have never made anything from it though!) This changes THIS WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cool project - the kind that'll make your life much easier but always keeps getting pushed to the back-burner. Have you digitized all your zines as well? Either by scanning the index or entering it to some sort of spreadsheet. Thats something I'd like to do with my favorite recipes.

    A very refreshing take on cauliflower - you're right in that I only know a few ways to make it too.

    Thank you for listing me on your blogroll, that feels so great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks stellar! I guess I'm not well-seasoned enough, because there's always enough farting to go around for twelve vegans over here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. chocolate covered cauliflower? hell yes!

    and on a side note, whenever i eat a TON of cruciferous vegetables, i like to think i'm a seasoned vegan as well ;) haha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cocoa cauliflower is so crazy, it just may work! I wonder what other vegetables should be covered in chocolate and roasted now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cauliflower! Yum! I could also eat a whole head of cauliflower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great looking zine, I'll have to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahahahahaha! cauliflower doesn't give me the farts anymore either. seasoned vegan, indeed. i love that the mostest 'cause it's so true.

    i feel kinda bad 'cause i bought A-K's zine last year and it was tucked away on my shelf and i went and forgot about it. i'm gonna have to make some yummies from it soon. i'm totally starting with the mole-roasted cauliflower 'cause it looks amazing & sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God that looks amazing! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that CCC looks great! I have Swell, but I haven't tried that before. I made her sweet potato cranberry scones a few times and they were great. Aren't they GF? I know they use rice flour, but maybe there's some wheat or something in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this one too! There's a tahini soup in there that's super amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is gorgeous and oh my do these look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.