Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sunny Days in Texas--Benefit Zine!


Sunny Days in Texas  is one of the best zines in my collection.  It was recently compiled by my friend Stephanie aka LazySmurf, with recipes from a slew of other amazing folks, too. 

This zine benefits Sunny Day Farm Animal Sanctuary in La Coste, Texas. 
The proceeds from the sale of this recipe booklet benefit Sunny Day Farm Animal Sanctuary, the largest farm animal sanctuary in Texas.  You know Texas is really huge and really hot, right?  It's hard taking care of animals as it is, but when you add extreme drought and wild fires, times get serious.  This zine couldn't be more win-win-win.  You get an awesome book of recipes, and the animals get food and water.  Simple!

There are all sorts of recipes compiled here, a little something-something for everyone, and I think the range is a lot more dynamic and interesting than the typical zine, too. Where else can you find a Vegan Breakfast Taco Guide sitting side by side with a Daikon Salad recipe?  You can't even find that on a Greyhound bus, m'friends.

You can help the animals at Sunny Day AHORA MISMO for just $10, or instead, you can make a donation to support Team Sunny Day and you will be entered into a giveaway to win a copy of the zine, plus a whole slew of other amazing stuff.   Also, can you tell that the local radio stations just had their benefit drives?  I took notes.  Let's make those phones ring, people!

If you need added motivation to support this project, the zine also has cute animal photos.

Lambs are The Best!
I cooked up a couple of recipes from Sunny Days in Texas to test the waters for you.  No sharks!  First I made Kristen's Chickpea "Tuna" Salad for sustenance.  In this version, chix are mashed together with seasonings, mayo, dill pickle relish and all sorts of stuff to make a very satisfying lunch.  Kristen recommends adding kelp or dulce for a more authentic sea flavor, but since I didn't have those, I rolled mine up into sheets of nori and made rolls! 

Man, was I excited to eat these.  I sprinkled mine with a little cayenne.
After the chixrolls, I steered right into the sweet.  Since Dazee's a bit under the weather, I thought some coo-coo-badookie cookies might lift his spirits.  Either that or his blood sugar.

These are Krys' Yummeos, which I had to try, since baking cookie sammies is one of my life's callings.  I did xgfxercise this recipe, but it wasn't hard--just a little brown rice flour, sorghum and potato starch was all I needed. 

Here's a cookie map to explain the details more clearly.
Also, since I had some chocolate hanging around from my sugar coma project, I added that to turn these into Triple Stuffed Yummeos.

Count for yourself.
Some of them even have two layers of chocolate, so they're more like Quadruple Stuffed XGFX Yummeos. 
  • Title:  Sunny Days in Texas
  • AuthorCompiled by Stephanie Bogdanich aka Lazy smurf.  Contributions from a whole slew of amazing people make this zine great.
  • AvailabilityInfo is here, black and white copies are listed on Etsy and full color copies are on MagCloud.
  • Size6.5″ x 8.5″ (legal half sized) / Stapled 
  • Length: 38 pages
  • Collection36 recipes
  • 5 Recipes to IntrigueZucchini Migas, Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli, King Ranch Casserole, Jackfruit Brisket and Jalapeño Popper Dip,
  • XGFXness: This zine is almost entirely xgfx.  The boudin recipe would be hard to xgfxercise, 'cuz it has vital wheat gluten in it, but the other ones are easy to sub out.  Do it for the animals.
  • Zine Wiki: Not listed
xo
kittee

5 comments:

  1. Oooh genius usage of nori and I'm so glad you posted a cookie map, I was getting a bit lost.
    <:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome zine, will have to put it on my to-buy list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! the yummeos look amazing! I wish I had some right now. Thanks so much for the write-up! You are the zine queen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickpea tuna salad in nori rolls is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the hell?! Chocolate sandwich cookies with an extra layer of chocolate?? Amazing!! The sushi roll chickpea tuna salad is a really great idea too. I think I'll be getting this zine in the not too distant future!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.