Sunny Days in Texas is one of the best zines in my collection. It was recently compiled by my friend Stephanie aka LazySmurf, with recipes from a slew of other amazing folks, too.
|This zine benefits Sunny Day Farm Animal Sanctuary in La Coste, Texas.|
There are all sorts of recipes compiled here, a little something-something for everyone, and I think the range is a lot more dynamic and interesting than the typical zine, too. Where else can you find a Vegan Breakfast Taco Guide sitting side by side with a Daikon Salad recipe? You can't even find that on a Greyhound bus, m'friends.
You can help the animals at Sunny Day AHORA MISMO for just $10, or instead, you can make a donation to support Team Sunny Day and you will be entered into a giveaway to win a copy of the zine, plus a whole slew of other amazing stuff. Also, can you tell that the local radio stations just had their benefit drives? I took notes. Let's make those phones ring, people!
If you need added motivation to support this project, the zine also has cute animal photos.
|Lambs are The Best!|
After the chixrolls, I steered right into the sweet. Since Dazee's a bit under the weather, I thought some coo-coo-badookie cookies might lift his spirits. Either that or his blood sugar.
|Man, was I excited to eat these. I sprinkled mine with a little cayenne.|
These are Krys' Yummeos, which I had to try, since baking cookie sammies is one of my life's callings. I did xgfxercise this recipe, but it wasn't hard--just a little brown rice flour, sorghum and potato starch was all I needed.
Also, since I had some chocolate hanging around from my sugar coma project, I added that to turn these into Triple Stuffed Yummeos.
|Here's a cookie map to explain the details more clearly.|
Some of them even have two layers of chocolate, so they're more like Quadruple Stuffed XGFX Yummeos.
|Count for yourself.|
- Title: Sunny Days in Texas
- Author: Compiled by Stephanie Bogdanich aka Lazy smurf. Contributions from a whole slew of amazing people make this zine great.
- Availability: Info is here, black and white copies are listed on Etsy and full color copies are on MagCloud.
- Size: 6.5″ x 8.5″ (legal half sized) / Stapled
- Length: 38 pages
- Collection: 36 recipes
- 5 Recipes to Intrigue: Zucchini Migas, Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli, King Ranch Casserole, Jackfruit Brisket and Jalapeño Popper Dip,
- XGFXness: This zine is almost entirely xgfx. The boudin recipe would be hard to xgfxercise, 'cuz it has vital wheat gluten in it, but the other ones are easy to sub out. Do it for the animals.
- Zine Wiki: Not listed