Sunday, October 9, 2011

Squash Circles

Here I am with a quick post to fill you in on something you hopefully already know about.  Squash Circles!  I've been poppin' the delicata squash like Pez over here, and they taste just as good.


To make 'em, wash the delicata squash well, but don't peel!  With a super sharp knife, cut the squash into slices about 3/4" thick, which will yield a bunch of circles.  Then with a spoon, scoop away any strings or flesh in the center and throw the seeds in a bowl of water to soak.  In a large bowl, toss the circles with a little olive or grapeseed oil, salt, chipotle chile powder and about a teaspoon of brown sugar.  Lay them in a single file on top of a parchment lined cookie sheet and roast at 425F until brown and soft, turning them once.  These make a quick snack-- they only take about 15 minutes to bake.


While the circles are baking, prepare the seeds (these are just as tasty as pumpkin, only smaller).  Throw the wet seeds into a sieve, then scoop out any squash guts.  If you like, you can season the drained seeds the same way as the circles.  A little sugar will help them get brown and caramelized and plays against the heat of the pepper--use cayenne or ancho for a switch, or leave it  all out.  Just don't forgot the oil and salt!

xo
kittee

14 comments:

  1. They look absolutely amazing! I am always searching for good squash recipes and I definitely have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so perfect... I also like kabocha squash with good sesame oil and sesame seeds, heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this, I will definitely try these, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, i know at least two people in my house that will tear some of these up. thanks, Kitteebee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The squash circles look so good. Roasted winter squash is some amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about squash circles, but thank heavens I do now. Can't wait to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about squash circles either, so I'm thrilled, they sound so delicious and so very easy! I'm going to head off to the grocery store tonight to fill up my cart with delicata squash, as I know my family will love these, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roasted squash slices are killer addicting! Love your cute round slices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay. No more lingering over cakes. This is what I came here for. Now I'm off to try my own version (olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic tabasco). Thanks for the inspiration, kittee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Phoenix: Yours sound good! I'm making more today! Best snack ever.
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got some delicata in my produce box, and was wondering what to do with them. I'm going to have to try this and MoFo my results. Kittee's flash-roasted squash mob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Just what I was looking for!!!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, unless you're a spammer.
Spamming kills baby sea turtles.