Today I present you with Spoonfight: Vegan Manual to Kitchen Terrorism. It's one of my favorites from the old days, and it's really funny, I mean if you're OK with terrorism humor in the way of fart torture and forced garlic consumption. I promise, there's absolutely no waterboarding in this zine, just lots of duct tape and beans.
The weird thing about most of the zines in my collection, is that I don't cook from them much. I guess it's not that weird, 'cuz I don't cook from cookbooks often either. I do read them a LOT, however, and I use this cool culinary mental absorbtion technique, which allows the knowledge and core of the zine to flow right into this special area of my brain. It makes cooking decisions effortless.
|Gravy is Power.|
I bought Spoonfight in the early 90s, and I think I've only ever cooked from it once before. Today, I broke it open and made Hot PB Apple Shingles. Mine weren't hot, but they were super easy, healthy, practical and delicious. I had a little tub of homemade applesauce in the fridge, so I was pumped to have something to use it for. I have a way of neglecting stuff like that until it spoils.
|Hot PB Apple Shingles, can apparently, work the nerves.|
Now I know this is a rather simple meal, but ya know, I have never in my life had peanut butter, applesauce and bananas together, and it was a huge welcomed get-together in my mouth.
|The zine artwork looks like it's hand cut and pasted and has lots of clip art.|
There are other quick recipes in this collection and a lot of hearty recipes like lentil loaf and seitan stews, which would be easy to xgfxercise with TVP, Soy Curls or sturdy portobellos.
|It's also full of tongue-in-cheek humor, but nothing I found offensive, and I'm sorta sensitive to violent themes.|
- Title: Spoonfight: Vegan Manual to Kitchen Terrorism
- Chief Saboteur: S. Chamberlain
- Availability: As of 10.2.11 you can order this from Vegan Action.
- Size: 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 (vertical half-size letter) / Stapled
- Length: 32 pages
- Collection: 54 recipes
- 5 Recipes to Intrigue: Hot PB Apple Shingles* Black and Blue Eyed Peas* Quick Attack Lima Bean Soup* Sweet Potato Cannonballs* Cashew Factor French Toast
- XGFXness: If you sub mushrooms or Soy Curls for the seitan, looks like most of the recipes are easily converted.
- Zine Wiki: Not listed
- Links: here.